Payment to foreigner

KlausE

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My LLC got a loan from a friend who is a French citizen and lives in France.

I paid back the loan with interest in 2021.

I am working on my taxes.

Do I need to report this anywhere?

I thought a 1042 is only used when you withhold money. I have a signed W-8BEN, so I did not withhold anything.
The 1042 and the 1042-S are distinct forms. The 1042 is for you to report withholding. The 1042-S is for you to report payments that (might) be subject to withholding.

I am not sure if the loan I got counts as a service performed abroad.

If I can avoid reporting the 1042-S I would like to do it.

My LLC got a loan from a friend who is a French citizen and lives in France.

I paid back the loan with interest in 2021.

You paid back the loan? Or your LLC paid back the loan? If the former, why would you pay back a loan that was made to your LLC?

Did you or the LLC pay interest on the loan?

Until you clarify these things, your question cannot be answered intelligently.

My LLC got a loan and paid it back with additional interest.

I got a W-8BEN so I did not withhold anything.

Trying to find out if I have to report the interest payment. On my own research, I found some articles that say I have to, but also some who say that if I do not withhold anything I don't have to.

1024-S has to be filed on withholdable payments whether or not you actually do (or are obliged) to. You've created the same thread on two different boards and you've been told the same thing by multiple people. If you don't believe us, hire an attorney or accountant.

Thanks. Now I understand. I never said I don't trust you?!

Sorry for the posting in "Banking, Finance, Investments". I deleted it after a few minutes and as far as I know, there were no answers. I just checked again and I can not find it, so I can not find any answers.

I have now filed a 1024-S form. I couldn't do it electronically, so I used a paper form.

Thanks for all your help!

Klaus

Last edited:
Back