payment error by previous employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alisha

Slightly less than one year ago, May 25, 2006, the firm that handles the salary dispersement for my previous employer deposited an extra paycheck in my account after I resigned from that practice. I was told by a previous on-line attorney that if they did not contact me within 6 months that I was no longer obligated to return the money as it was their error. I was delivered a registered letter from them today demanding a return of the money ($8,000) by May 31, 2007. If anyone can give me some advice as soon as possible, I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance for your assistance. Please note that previous employer was in Lincoln, Nebraska, but I now reside in North Carolina.

I don't know what your previous on-line attorney was referring to, but the shortest SOL I've ever heard of with regards to returning overpayments is two years. I very much doubt that any state has a six month limit.

Just out of curiosity, since you clearly knew that you'd been overpaid, why did you not contact the employer? Keeping money that you knew you had not earned is considered theft in many circles.

Contact a Nebraska attorney, but don't hold your breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back