Paychecks of previous employer still coming with salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

meduri99

Hi,
I can't say if I am lucky or unlucky, but I am receiving a paycheck every fortnight from my previous company. I think one of the following might have happened.

1. My resignation is not been communicated effectively to the payroll.

2. Payroll did some mistake in removing from the bulk salary deposit system (if any existing).

3. Both of the above reasons together might have caused this.

Actually, I have given a 2 week notice (one more day extra I gave) to the Project manager and the manager whose name is on the reporting structure. In fact, I did not change the job, I've joined the client where I was working. So, being on H1-B visa, my client has applied for a fresh visa for me.

So, legally, I am entitled to work frm the client. But since I have given a notice (by e-mail), I have started working with client's visa in the same chair.
My previous employer has a Project manager at my work place, who has conducted a discussion on my resignation where I did not consider the counter offer.

Now, since I adhered to the employment agreement, if the mistake continues to happen from the payroll, what should I ideally do?

Should I complain to the project manager on this? Why should I help them stop losing the money with negligence?

Am I suppose to pay back immediately the grand total, in case they realize this? Can I pay them in parts?

Because of the communication gap or negligence of the company, will IRS finds me as guilty and punish any penalty? Is it a matter of trust or dishonesty?

First thing Monday morning, pick up the phone and tell them that you are still receiving paychecks. Be prepared to pay back every last cent. Your former employer has no legal obligation to continue to pay you once you became employed by the client, and you have no legal rights whatsoever to keep pay you did not earn. It doesn't matter whose mistake it was; you are not entitled to a windfall because of someone else's clerical error.

Whether you must pay them back all at once or in installments is entirely up to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back