Pay Garnished due to identity theft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprasad

I got a letter last night stating that my pay is being garnished for a total amount of $17,200+ dollars. I called the law offices that worked for the creditor and they told me a name and address in Arizona, but my SSN.

I've been on the phone with a lot of people since morning trying to get this resolved, but wouldn't something like this have to be verified by namd AND ssn and not just ssn?

So seems like someone else used my ssn to buy a car, and now they're after me to pay off the debt. I have perfect credit and have filed a credit fraud alert on all credit bureaus.

Can I sue? there are several entities involved

1) My Employer as their payroll dept didn't match the SSN with the name that was supposed to be the garnishee
2) the law firm acting on behalf of the creditor that pulled the credit report with the SSN, again not matching the name of the actual person
3) the guy who used my SSN with his name and address
4) the company the guy bought the car from, as they supposedly pulled the credit report but didn't check the name against the name on file
5) the creditor (westlake financial services) that decided to garnish my pay, without investigation the ssn/name difference.

I was never served any court order/documents. From what the law firm tells me, the person who used my SSN appeared in court and was served the papers. He lives in Arizona, i live in California. The only way i found out was when my employer payroll dept sent me a letter stating my pay is going to be garnished.

Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back