Past due on Credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darlene821

I am past due on some of my credit cards so now the credit card companies are calling wanting payment. I live in Texas. What is my recourse for just not paying these that are past due? Can I be arrested or sued? I know my wages cannot be garnished but what about my house?

Thank you
Darlene821

Darlene821 said:
I am past due on some of my credit cards so now the credit card companies are calling wanting payment. I live in Texas. What is my recourse for just not paying these that are past due? Can I be arrested or sued? I know my wages cannot be garnished but what about my house?

There is no question you can be sued. You credit will also suffer tremendously. Your bank accounts can be frozen and assets may be seized upon judgment. Additionally, if they do have to go to court they will tack on additional court and enforcement costs.

This is a tough situation. You could try to negotiate a small minimum payment, but of course that means that the interest on the sum you owe piles up more and more. BUt this is the way to go if you can anticipate that you situation will change for the better.

If not, there usually is only bankruptcy. But since that has a major impact on your future financial standing it needs to be carefully contemplated. It also might not discharge all kinds of debts. So you would need careful consultation.

In bigger cities there are non-profit organizations offering credit counseling .You should try to get one. Beware of obscure places who want to charge you for that, though. Try official places like city or county or reputable organizations like churches first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back