Password retrieveal email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innocient

Right, so i was with this girl for 3 years and then she broke up with me and now crap's crapie. Here's what's up

1. I had a password retrieveal I hadn't asked for that wasn't opened and sent when i wasn't home.

2. I attempt to log into her facebook also, asking for password retrieveal to be sent, but didn't log in to her email.

3.She changed my facebook password at 4:58 (according to "you have used an old password screen"), i got home at 5:02 to see that, mom as witness. then soon it was deleted, then my email passwords were changed, both gmail and back up hotmail.

Can i get her for what she has done (i have credit information on those emails), even though i did number 2.

I have proof i was on my way home from 4:40 to 5:00 from testomey by my mom and my friend. and i still can't acess my gmail because it doesnt let you recover if you log in 24 hours. so in the mean time she has my account im not sure if emails are getting deleted, if my proof is gone, what do i do

There is no reasonable remedy at law for what this childish person has done. You could expend copious sums of money and time to pursue a civil suit against her, but is that practical?

Accept this behavior as a precious gift. You've been saved from further injury and harm by no longer having this demon in your life.

Pretty much all you can do is pick up the pieces and try to look out for anything else she might have access to. You also need to contact the credit bureaus and have them put a lock on your credit. She may not have just closed or changed the password on those email accounts. She may have copies of those emails.

You also need to take this as a lesson that any email that you have such info going to should have a password that only YOU know about. Even if you trust the other person, unless you are actually married and it's a solid marriage. I would also wait 45 days, then get copies of your credit reports, even if you have to pay for them. It might pay off. However keep in mind that if you get turned down for credit or a credit line increase, you are entitled to a free copy of your credit report. There's nothing stopping you from applying for something you know you'll never get or going on line to a credit card you have and asking for some astronomical increase. So these are ways to be able to get your report free.

While maybe immoral, she hasn't really done anything illegal. She gained access to computers that don't belong to you (servers that host your email, Facebook, etc). She accessed them by using a password, which you are responsible for protecting. If she did not know the password then she likely knew some easy to guess security questions to get a new password. Still, you would not be the victim here, but the owner of the server would, and it would still depend upon what she does with the information she receives.

Your best bet is to not confront her about it, otherwise it could get worse or continue even longer. Set new passwords for whatever you have and be more careful about the "hints" that you set to help you get your forgotten passwords. Also, do not use the same password for multiple accounts. They should all be different. You can use a password protected password manager on your personal computer to keep them all organized.

Bottom line, unless she makes unauthorized use of your personal information or makes transactions from your bank or credit cards, there is nothing to "get her" for. Let her go and be done with it.

Update! She changed the security questions on my gmail. She said she deleted everything on those emails. What do?????
and by credit information, i mean my paypal.
@army judge
I do accept it as a gift since she lives with her grandparents even though she's 18. therefore, the owner of the PC is the one who would receive an issue if i presented one.

@tpajet
I don't need to worry about her accessing anything since she already got access to everything.....

While maybe immoral, she hasn't really done anything illegal. She gained access to computers that don't belong to you (servers that host your email, Facebook, etc). She accessed them by using a password, which you are responsible for protecting. If she did not know the password then she likely knew some easy to guess security questions to get a new password. Still, you would not be the victim here, but the owner of the server would, and it would still depend upon what she does with the information she receives.

Your best bet is to not confront her about it, otherwise it could get worse or continue even longer. Set new passwords for whatever you have and be more careful about the "hints" that you set to help you get your forgotten passwords. Also, do not use the same password for multiple accounts. They should all be different. You can use a password protected password manager on your personal computer to keep them all organized.

Bottom line, unless she makes unauthorized use of your personal information or makes transactions from your bank or credit cards, there is nothing to "get her" for. Let her go and be done with it.

well, my security question was "school sucks2 with no spaces". Also i'm pretty sure this is impersonating and identity theft.

What should one do about this. I have no evidence other than i didn't have my computer (mom took it) at the time of this, she admitted it on the phone, There's a thing on wiki answers that i would link if i had more than 25 post, it can found by googleing "how to block restricted calls on metro pcs", it says there that metropcs only gives call records to court orders, now theres some things on there i would really really not like to get into the hands of law enforcement.

Is there a way for law enforcement to grab the IP address of the last log in on gmail/hotmail and/or facebook.

It is not identity theft until she makes use of any information obtained for her own benefit. Simply accessing the accounts and changing the passwords is not itself a criminal act. This is a civil matter at best, and is precisely why you need to protect your passwords.

Did she take money out of the Paypal account or make purchases in your name? That would be an issue worthy of police action.

There isn't much you can do about the email account. You can contact gmail, facebook and other websites and see if they will just delete your accounts, then you can start a new one.

You still don't have any PROOF that it is her... just an assumption, though a reasonable one.

No, you aren't likely to get the IP address either. That would require a warrant being served on the company's that operate the websites, and that is a lot more work than you might realize for what the police would treat as a very petty issue.

Keep in mind too that not all internet service providers even keep a record of the IP addresses. Verizon is one, unless things have changed recently. That all came about from the days of the music downloading lawsuits. When they started asking for info, Verizon stopped keeping logs. You can't subpoena what is never kept in the first place. They certainly won't give it to you.

Facebook should actually be a bit easier to deal with on this. There is a scam that has gone around where someone will hack you FB account, then put a post that you are in England and have been injured/robbed/ you name it and you need money sent via Western Union. They then de-friend you list making it harder for you to contact some of those people who feel sorry for you and send money. The problem is they change your password as well.

I don't know about Gmail, you need to change passwords on anything else you can.

Also, I think you misunderstood what I was telling you before - I know she has access to everything. That's the problem, and the point I was making. Since she has that info, you don't know what she might decided to do with it. What if she starts opening accounts in your name? Do not take any chances with this situation. You need to lock down everything you can, and follow up on everything.

The only thing you can maybe remotely do is still file a claim in smalls claims court. You will not win, and it will cost you about $100 give or take (maybe more depends on your local court). But the point is, if it's worth that to you, you can still file and when she gets the copy of the suit it might scare her into being a bit more cooperative. If she calls scared tell her you will drop the case if she changes all of your stuff back or at least so you can access it. The problem with the plan is how smart is she. Would she figure out it's a bluff?

Last edited:
You might "know" who did this. But, it'll be hard to prove a specific person did it. And, even if it's proven, very little action (if any) will be taken by the authorities. There is nothing anyone on the forum can do about this. If you don't know who to contact, call the police or go in and discuss this with a detective. They may not be able to help you. They will always listen and at least respond.

Army Judge is 100% right. Getting proof for this kind of dispute is expensive and time consuming. In addition, there is no way this is going up on the crime blotter in the police station as being top priority if it was a criminal act. Best to change all your passwords and be done with the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back