Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Passing bad checks charge after 18 years?

JennyMc68

I was currently Pulled over in Ohio or not having a license plate Light , found out I had 7 warrants or my arrest from 18 years ago, passing bad checks. I Dont remember writing them nor have i ever gotten a summons to go to court although it said i had 7 failures to appear. I was shocked. Mortified as I am a Nurse now and have never been convicted or in jail for anything and now i just got out of jail from sitting there 3 days and 500 cash bond for checks that were written over 17 years ago? is this legal? is there not a statue of limitation? I plead not guilty of course because as i said i do not remember and now have a trial set for next month? im so confused?

I was currently Pulled over in Ohio or not having a license plate Light , found out I had 7 warrants or my arrest from 18 years ago, passing bad checks. I Dont remember writing them nor have i ever gotten a summons to go to court although it said i had 7 failures to appear. I was shocked. Mortified as I am a Nurse now and have never been convicted or in jail for anything and now i just got out of jail from sitting there 3 days and 500 cash bond for checks that were written over 17 years ago? is this legal? is there not a statue of limitation? I plead not guilty of course because as i said i do not remember and now have a trial set for next month? im so confused?

This is simple.
You next appear as directed, and while you wait you HIRE a lawyer.
As a gainfully employed nurse, I suspect your income will be too high to qualify you for a public defender.
If you need more time to get the money together to hire a lawyer, simply appear as directed and when called, asked the court to be heard.
You then ask the judge to continue the matter for four to six weeks as you need more time to get the money to hire your lawyer.
In my area of the woods, a lawyer would run you about $3,000 to $5,000 to represent you.
Be sure to ask when you visit lawyers to eventually hire yours.
You don't want to hire a lawyer over the telephone or without meeting him or her in person.

Yes, its legal because bench warrants were likely issued when someone failed to appear.
You might not remember the checks, because someone near to you posed as you and wrote the checks on your account, or your identity could have been hacked.

No worries, once you get your lawyer in board, this will all be revealed and sorted.

If you didn't so it, it'll be fairly simple to prove that and this entire fiasco will be dismissed.

The statute of limitations is regarding the filing/charging of an offense. That was likely done within the allowed time, it just took years to locate you. You need legal assistance from an attorney pronto.
That said, it is very possible that this long after the fact there will be no victim to come forward to make an accusation against you. With some luck this will all go away with no consequence.

Back