Parking ticket, now court date for a car I sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprebound

I sold a vehicle on 7/7/10 and didn't take the title to the registrar to clear my name on it. I did report the information through the website mndriveinfo the day of the sale. There was a parking ticket issued to the car on 11/13/10 that was sent to my old address because I hadn't renewed my license to my new (current) address; yes I know I was supposed to do that within 30 days.

I received a letter stating that I had failed to pay the fine on time and was issued a court date about three weeks ago. I have a bill of sale but the purchaser didn't sign it, instead I was stupid and wrote his name in. I have the "seller notice of sale" torn off the title with his drivers license information written on it in his own hand writing. I also just contacted the buyer tonight and it sounds as though he is willing to work with me.

What I need to know is, without a completed bill of sale do I have a case that I can win? Also, it shows that this will be a petty misdemeanor and I don't want that on my record because I am wanting to apply to the airlines within the next year or two. I've heard that petty misdemeanors don't show up on your criminal record in Minnesota because it's not a criminal offense. Example being my roommate who received a $150 open container violation at a U of MN game. He paid the ticket and it doesn't show up on his criminal record...

I'd be fine taking the hit for $37 if it means that I don't have to waste $100 in gas driving back and forth. BUT, I don't want to do that if it is going to show up on any records. I'm hoping someone with knowledge can help me out here. Thanks :)

The ticket is $37?
Your simplest solution here is to pay the ticket and inform the state of the sale to get you off the registration.

Right, but the specific issue I have is if I pay the ticket will it end up on my record? MN law states that petty misdemeanor is not considered a criminal offense so that to me means it won't be on my criminal record, but does that mean it goes on my driving record? I have too many student loans to pay back if this is going to affect my ability to find a job in a few years, that is my main worry. The word misdemeanor isn't comforting to me.

Right, but the specific issue I have is if I pay the ticket will it end up on my record? MN law states that petty misdemeanor is not considered a criminal offense so that to me means it won't be on my criminal record, but does that mean it goes on my driving record? I have too many student loans to pay back if this is going to affect my ability to find a job in a few years, that is my main worry. The word misdemeanor isn't comforting to me.

This is nothing.

It is a parking ticket that has apparently gone unpaid.

Until it is paid, it is going to gather additional fees.

Its a lousy $37, pay it and be done with this madness.

Then do as Moose wisely counseled, otherwise this nothing will become something.

Thanks for the advice guys, I finally got a call back 10 mins ago from the county attorney's office saying that they are going to dismiss the case...thank god! Once again, thanks for helping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back