Parking on private property - off the driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slybone

City: San Diego

So,

My buddy has a house next to my college that he said I can park at, he told me that the driveway is full but I can park next to it.

A little background as to the design of the front of his house. His driveway is large enough to fit 4 cars parked in two tandem spaces, however directly to the right of that paved driveway there is another equal sized area (which used to be the front lawn) but is now just dirt.

I would be parking on that dirt portion of his property.

What I was wondering is, am I allowed to park there? I have heard from some friends that you can be sited for something, but I was unable to find any VC stating that.

Thanks,
B

City: San Diego

So,

My buddy has a house next to my college that he said I can park at, he told me that the driveway is full but I can park next to it.

A little background as to the design of the front of his house. His driveway is large enough to fit 4 cars parked in two tandem spaces, however directly to the right of that paved driveway there is another equal sized area (which used to be the front lawn) but is now just dirt.

I would be parking on that dirt portion of his property.

What I was wondering is, am I allowed to park there? I have heard from some friends that you can be sited for something, but I was unable to find any VC stating that.

Thanks,
B

In most city jurisdictions, one is prohibited from parking on anything other than pavement or gravel parking surfaces. I suspect that IF you park on the lawn (or the dirt), you'll be ticketed for violating a municipal ordinance.

If you can't park on a paved surface, don't park anywhere else.

Check with the law enforcement agency responsible for that area. They can tell you whether or not an ordinance is in effect, and whether or not they would take the time to cite you for parking there.
I wouldn't expect they would deal with it unless they got calls from neighbors complaining about unsightly cars in the yard.

I used to work down there and while there are ordinances that might address such parking, as Mightymoose said, unless the police get a call from neighbors or the car is parked there for prolonged periods, the police are not likely to cite for it. Plus, I do not believe there is an ordinance against parking on an unpaved lot, but there was for parking there for a prolonged period (48 hours as i recall ... but it HAS been a few years).

The best bet is to call the SDPD and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back