Parents allowing teen sex responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

concernedparent

I was devastated to find out that my just 16 yr. old has recently having sex with her soon-to-be 18 yr. old boyfriend. I haven't figured out what I want to do, but I want to cover all the bases and be knowledgeable if I do decide to take legal action. I doubt that I will, but just in case.

I feel completely betrayed because I have never allowed my daughter to be unsupervised with this boyfriend and to get permission to go to her boyfriend's house I talked to his parents and told them that they are NOT to be unsupervised, that they must be in the "family" rooms of the house (i.e. kitchen, living room) and absolutely not in the bedroom. They allowed them to go in the bedroom and KNEW they were having sex. Is this contributing to the delinquency of a minor or just inadequate supervision?

I am so sad.:(

Well, in AL, 16 is the age of consent. I don't know much about other state laws. But you could most definately nail him for sex with a minor if you get her rape tested and can prove it. By the way, i believe thats a Class A misdemenor.

well i am a 15 yr old girl who has a problem... i have a 18 yr old boyfriend who is really nice to me and treats me very well.. well my mom hates him because he is gothic and well because of his peircings. i try to tell her that she needs to trust my judgement and if something ever happened while i was out with this boy and i ended up possibly getting into something i didnt need to then i would call her. i know she is worried about me and i can fully understand that she will be. i am her baby girl. i love her dearly i just want her to trust me more and know that i know she is there for me and i will call her if i need her. i want her to quit stressing.i love my mom so very much but in the end it is going to be based on my decisions in life and when i get older i will have to live with these decisions not her. please help!! :confused:

parents not trusting teens

well i am a 15 yr old girl who has a problem... i have a 18 yr old boyfriend who is really nice to me and treats me very well.. well my mom hates him because he is gothic and well because of his peircings. i try to tell her that she needs to trust my judgement and if something ever happened while i was out with this boy and i ended up possibly getting into something i didnt need to then i would call her. i know she is worried about me and i can fully understand that she will be. i am her baby girl. i love her dearly i just want her to trust me more and know that i know she is there for me and i will call her if i need her. i want her to quit stressing.i love my mom so very much but in the end it is going to be based on my decisions in life and when i get older i will have to live with these decisions not her. please help!! :confused:

This is not really a legal problem, I fear. This is an issue of trust, love and growing up. You realized that your mom loves you and is concerned about you because of that. You also feel that you can handle the situation so far yourself. You two need to come to an understanding with which both of you can live. I think if you sit down with her and start discussing the issues you have mentioned here it would be a good first step.

statitory rape

I need advise on this matter about this situation. my son who is now 18 years olds as March 5, 2005 is dating a girl who will be 16 years old as of april 5th 2005 here's the problem they been dating for a year now. she had to move with her father how lives 3 hours round trip. my son is staying with her at her fathers house and i want him to come home so he can finish high school. he said he will come home if she can come and live here to finish school its both there first true love and they wont separate form each other they said they would be heart broken and love sick it they have to be separted. I want to let her live here in my home so they can finish school. there school is here where I live. i want to know if I can get in any trouble if i let him and her live in the same house but sleep in separate bedrooms. her parents have given her permission to live here. But, my husband said we can get in trouble for having her her because of their age difference.and my son can get in trouble to. what are the laws in the state of PA on satitary rape and there age difference. Please get back to me as soon as possible about this matter so I will know what to do about this matter. I am looking forward to hereing from you as soon as possible thats

:confused:
J Missimer said:
I need advise on this matter about this situation. my son who is now 18 years olds as March 5, 2005 is dating a girl who will be 16 years old as of april 5th 2005 here's the problem they been dating for a year now. she had to move with her father how lives 3 hours round trip. my son is staying with her at her fathers house and i want him to come home so he can finish high school. he said he will come home if she can come and live here to finish school its both there first true love and they wont separate form each other they said they would be heart broken and love sick it they have to be separted. I want to let her live here in my home so they can finish school. there school is here where I live. i want to know if I can get in any trouble if i let him and her live in the same house but sleep in separate bedrooms. her parents have given her permission to live here. But, my husband said we can get in trouble for having her her because of their age difference.and my son can get in trouble to. what are the laws in the state of PA on satitary rape and there age difference. Please get back to me as soon as possible about this matter so I will know what to do about this matter. I am looking forward to hereing from you as soon as possible thats

This is the law:

§ 3122.1. Statutory sexual assault.
Except as provided in section 3121 (relating to rape), a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse with a complainant under the age of 16 years and that person is four or more years older than the complainant and the complainant and the person are not married to each other.

So if he is only two years older than she is and she is over 13 he should not be charged with statutory rape under this law.

So far for the criminal law. Of course there are more considerations to be taken in such a case, because parents also have the right to control who their child interacts with, so the least you should obtain is clear and express consent by all those who have legal custody over the minor and that should definitely be in writing.

concernedparent said:
I was devastated to find out that my just 16 yr. old has recently having sex with her soon-to-be 18 yr. old boyfriend. I haven't figured out what I want to do, but I want to cover all the bases and be knowledgeable if I do decide to take legal action. I doubt that I will, but just in case.

I feel completely betrayed because I have never allowed my daughter to be unsupervised with this boyfriend and to get permission to go to her boyfriend's house I talked to his parents and told them that they are NOT to be unsupervised, that they must be in the "family" rooms of the house (i.e. kitchen, living room) and absolutely not in the bedroom. They allowed them to go in the bedroom and KNEW they were having sex. Is this contributing to the delinquency of a minor or just inadequate supervision?

I am so sad.:(

depends on the state.

That said lets assume that 16 is the age of consent.

If this is true and they began having sex before her 16th b-day, then you do have the legal right to have the boy charged with sexual abuse.

If you are more interested in the parents being in trouble then i would say that you may have to charge both the boy and his parents.

The charge (if any is possible) might be for the parents; endangering the welfare of a child.

NYClex said:
This is the law:

§ 3122.1. Statutory sexual assault.
Except as provided in section 3121 (relating to rape), a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse with a complainant under the age of 16 years and that person is four or more years older than the complainant and the complainant and the person are not married to each other.

So if he is only two years older than she is and she is over 13 he should not be charged with statutory rape under this law.

So far for the criminal law. Of course there are more considerations to be taken in such a case, because parents also have the right to control who their child interacts with, so the least you should obtain is clear and express consent by all those who have legal custody over the minor and that should definitely be in writing.

The wording here seems to state (to me at least) the consent for sex in PA is 16. Soooo if that is true, and i would consult counsel, then the 18 male can find themselves in trouble (esp. if the age of maturity/adulthood is 18 in PA). The safest thing would be to do confront your son on two things

1. try and find out why he is not dating in his own age range

2. inform him of the dangers and what the worst case senarios are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back