Parent died without will or assets

Flowerchild

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
My father passed away leaving no will or assets. He did received a pension and social security which he lived off of. There is no executor and I do not wish to be executor. His earnings per year were about $30,000. What happens to the income taxes? I really don't want to get involved since he always handled his financial matters. Am I or my sister liable?

My father passed away leaving no will or assets.

Please accept my sincerest condolences for the loss of your father.
May he rest in eternal peace, as you mourn his passing.
He did received a pension and social security which he lived off of. There is no executor and I do not wish to be executor.

You need not worry abut paying his taxes, or filing taxes, either.

When a person dies, to paraphrase MC Hammer: IRS can't touch him.

I really don't want to get involved since he always handled his financial matters.

You don't have to do a thing for him, if you don't wish to do anything for him.

You are also not responsible for his burial expenses, the county or the state will do it if you refuse.

Am I or my sister liable?

No.

My father passed away leaving no will or assets. He did received a pension and social security which he lived off of. There is no executor and I do not wish to be executor. His earnings per year were about $30,000. What happens to the income taxes? I really don't want to get involved since he always handled his financial matters. Am I or my sister liable?

Neither you nor your sister have to do anything regarding his estate. If a personal representative (PR) for his estate is appointed that PR would have the obligation to file the final tax returns, pay outstanding debts out of any assets in the estate, etc. But if the estate has no assets at all and no one steps to be PR then the tax agencies and creditors will deal with the problem themselves by determining there isn't anything there to pay them and moving on.

Back