overtime pay over 45 hours

D

djeffers

Jurisdiction
Arkansas
I am non-exempt salary and only get paid straight time for overtime worked over 45 hours. At other places that I have worked the 45 hour was because they assumed 1 hour lunch break. Where I work now (in Arkansas) my current employer pays straight time for overtime worked over 45 hours and takes time from the clock for lunch. Is this legal?

Taking lunch. They deduct time for lunch each day and require 45 hours before paying overtime. So there is 5 hours each week overtime not paid on a scheduled 40 hour week.

Just to be clear, are you saying that you are clocking 50 hours, they take 5 out for lunch so you actually work 45 and they are not paying overtime? What explanation are they giving you?

The FLSA requires that most employees in the United States be paid at least the federal minimum wage for all hours worked and overtime pay at time and one-half the regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 hours in a workweek.
You might make a phone call to the DOL to discuss your job duties to make sure you don't fall under one of the exceptions.

Back