Out-of-state subpoena. Time off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston1

I work in Massachusetts, but have been served with a subpoena requiring me to appear as a witness in a criminal case in California later this month for at least two days. Can my Massachusetts employer refuse to recognize a subpoena issued by a California court and not give me the time off? As a salaried employee, are they allowed to dock my vacation time or dock my pay?

They, like you, have to recognize the subpoena. I do not know if they can doc your vacation time but it is possible. You should be paid a witness appearance fee to cover your costs (travel expenses). If that isn't done up front your subpoena isn't valid. Costs do not include missing work.

Thanks for that info. Do you know if a prosecutor's office would ever be willing to cover the travel costs for both me and a companion? I'll be honest, the nature of the case and my testimony is pretty intense and I can't imagine doing this all on my own.

If this case is not related to your employment, yes, the employer can make you use vacation/PTO time to get paid for those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back