Oregon child problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbcdon

Here is the situation: A friend of mine has a grand daughter in Oregon, where she lives with her mother. My friend lives in California. The mother has custody, but she is a drug user, grows marijuana at her home with no medical card. She shifts the grand daughter to other relatives or friends. She thrashed the house which she rents from my friend. The father lives in California. Is there any way that the grandmother could gain custody, and relocate her to California. The grand daughter apparently has some issues because of the instability of her living conditions & environment. By the way, she is 10 years old. I would appreciate any advice.

How about the FATHER filing for custody? Or, is dad about as (apparently) useless as mom?

For grandma to have a shot at custody, the authorities would first have to step in and remove the child from the home. Grandma might then be able to apply for temporary (foster) custody. If mom is ordered to make changes and fails to comply with a court's orders, then grandma might be able to file for guardianship.

First thing might be to contact the child services or law enforcement agency where the child lives in OR and have them investigate.

But if CPS/DHR/DHS remove the child from the home in Oregon, California Grandma is going to have to jump through all sorts of hoops. CPS/DHR/DHS do not like sending the children they have taken charge of across state lines.

But if CPS/DHR/DHS remove the child from the home in Oregon, California Grandma is going to have to jump through all sorts of hoops. CPS/DHR/DHS do not like sending the children they have taken charge of across state lines.
It will depend on the availability and acceptability of family in Oregon, and whether family reunification is feasible. If mom tries and fails, then grandma has a good shot at adoption. But, if the child is merely in foster care and mom is in transition (taking classes, court-ordered testing, etc.) then you're right - grandma hasn't much of a chance.

All the more reason for DAD to get involved ... IF he is in the picture and a more suitable caregiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back