Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

cattay1

I am employed in the city in which I live (in Texas). I have recently been placed in an awkward situation. Several weeks ago, one of my co-workers was offended by a sexual comment that was made and directed towards her (I'll call him John and the direct victim Jane). As Jane stormed out of the office, she told me what was said. Other sexual and racial comments have been made in the office by John with myself and others present. Our director decided to post a job opening for a management position over our team. Soon after posting the job opening, our director asked to hold individual meetings with each of the members of the team. In my meeting, I was asked about things that might be needed or wanted in the office. I suggested cubicles, amongst other things, to help filter sound so that we don't have to be subjected to every comment that is made in our small office. My director then pressed for an example. The one that came to mind was the situation with Jane so I explained the situation without specific details; just that there were sexual and racial comments that took place and I found them offensive. He continued to press until I gave John's name. John has also made explicit comments about having a sexual relationship with our supervisor. The next week, we were each called in again to be reprimanded and reminded not to make any jokes or comments not related to work in the office. During one of the meetings with my co-workers, it was told to my supervisor that I was the one that told the director about the comments in the office. The interviews for the position are being held this week. John has made reference that this position has been created for him and all signs thus far indicate that there is truth to this. I have already received some slight retaliation from my supervisor and fear that if John becomes my supervisor, I will be subject to more severe retaliation leading to my termination. Am I protected or will I have to take whatever punishment I will receive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back