Options when being sued over and above insurance payout

Status
Not open for further replies.

justadad

My son, who was a minor at the time, was involved in an accident with another driver. The driver went to the hospital and subsequently retained the servcies of a lawyer. Our insurance paid out the full coverage amount of $25k but we are still being sued for the extra hospital costs. Total hospital cost was $32k. The insurance guy told us that the other driver's hospital claims were settled by his carrier at a fraction of the cost ($19k) and the insurance payout was $6K more than the claim settlement. I have been told that even though the hospital expenses were covered that he still has a claim against my son for the difference between the $25k and $32k. Even though the medical diagnosis for the other driver was limited to external bruising he requested 4 CAT scans in a 1 night hospital stay which drove the cost to this enormous figure. Is it reasonable to go through the process of challenging this legal action or simply be prepared to pay up? I would fully understand and be prepared to pay had the injuries been serious but for external bruising this seems to be overly excessive. Any advice as to my next steps? Thanks

You need to hire an attorney.

If what the insurance company says is true, the case will go nowhere.

It seems they took the 25 grand as full and final settlment.

But you will probably need a lawyer to work through this potential disaster.

You need to fight them getting a judgment against you.

That seems to be where this is headed, because they think you don't know your rights.

Don't be cheap or try to do this yourself, otherwise you'll get burned.

Speak with a lawyer, ASAP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back