Opposite sex siblings sharing a bedroom

Haleigh

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I live with my dad at his France's mother's house. I share a room with my half-brother who is currently 8 years old. It makes me uncomfortable to share a room with him because I don't get any privacy or space and he's getting to an age where he's starting to discover more mature things.

I am 18. I don't know how long I will be living here, but my question is, is it legal for an 18 year old female to share a room with her 8 year old half-brother?

I am 18 and my half-brother is 8. We live at my dad's fiance's mother's house. (To clarify, my dad's fiance is my brother's mom, and we share a dad.) We share a room, and it makes both of us uncomfortable because neither of us have the space and privacy we need, especially with our age difference. I'm in the process of becoming an adult, and he's a kid who has no room to put his toys other than the little amount of floor we have.

So the question is, is it legal for an 18 year old female to share a bedroom with her 8 year old half-brother?

Yes, it's legal. A quick internet search revealed that the question has been asked many times and the answer is that there is no law against it.

There are government agencies that may have particular limitations under certain circumstances like with foster families, HUD homes, Child Protective Services when there is an investigation into abuse.

However, throughout history, most of the world's population lived under conditions where children of all ages, as well as adults, shared common bedrooms.

Your situation has more to do with your family's financial condition coupled with common sense and personal perceptions.

In other words, there is no right or wrong. If you are uncomfortable with the arrangement, discuss your concerns candidly with your parents. If it turns out to be an economic necessity (as I suspect) you are likely to be stuck with the situation until you're ready to strike out on your own.

By they way, in the eyes of the law of most states, you're not "in the process of becoming an adult" you already became an adult on your 18th birthday.

I live with my dad at his France's mother's house. I share a room with my half-brother who is currently 8 years old. It makes me uncomfortable to share a room with him because I don't get any privacy or space and he's getting to an age where he's starting to discover more mature things.

I am 18. I don't know how long I will be living here, but my question is, is it legal for an 18 year old female to share a room with her 8 year old half-brother?

I am 18 and my half-brother is 8. We live at my dad's fiance's mother's house. (To clarify, my dad's fiance is my brother's mom, and we share a dad.) We share a room, and it makes both of us uncomfortable because neither of us have the space and privacy we need, especially with our age difference. I'm in the process of becoming an adult, and he's a kid who has no room to put his toys other than the little amount of floor we have.

So the question is, is it legal for an 18 year old female to share a bedroom with her 8 year old half-brother?

Nothing illegal about this arrangement.
As an adult, you are free to move, pitching your tent anywhere the law allows.

No, it's not illegal. Many times that is all the family can afford. As noted; since you are 18, you are free to live elsewhere.

You are welcome to move out, or put up a screen/partition if you prefer. You are not entitled to your own bedroom or the degree of privacy you would like.

Back