Opinion on getting custody of my niece

Sonnylyen

Jurisdiction
Ohio
My niece is 6 now. When she was 2 her mom and boyfriend beat her and we're on drugs. My brother had gotten full custody of my niece and has for the last 4 years. My brother got hooked on meth, he lost his license and continued to drive without a license. He ran from the cops in his vehicle and went to jail. Tested positive for meth but avoided the charge because he was getting charged for the fleeing and eluding. He's been out of jail since December 2018. He's back on meth. His fiancé apparently knows and my parents just make excuses for him. His daughter is being left at home with him while his fiancé works. He is unstable and cannot stay clean. I want to take custody of my niece. While he was in jail I had her the whole 6months. How far fetched is it for me to obtain custody?

Let me start by saying: Poor kid :(

If the child is in danger, you should contact the authorities.

Clearly you're not ready for the child. Maybe someone who really cares about the child should get her. Why??? Simple. If this was happening in my family, friends etc.... My butt would be on the phone with CPS in a heart beat. I would be calling them non stop every time something was wrong. I would be on the phone with the cops to report the drugs in the house. So..... contact the people that can really help this child.

How far fetched is it for me to obtain custody?

We have no way of knowing because you told us nothing about you. All we can tell from your post is that the child probably should be removed from per parents' custody. Contact child protective services and/or the police ASAP.

Agree... Report your suspicions to child services and let them do their job. If they need to place the child somewhere you might find opportunity to take her in.

My niece is 6 now. When she was 2 her mom and boyfriend beat her and we're on drugs. My brother had gotten full custody of my niece and has for the last 4 years. My brother got hooked on meth, he lost his license and continued to drive without a license. He ran from the cops in his vehicle and went to jail. Tested positive for meth but avoided the charge because he was getting charged for the fleeing and eluding. He's been out of jail since December 2018. He's back on meth. His fiancé apparently knows and my parents just make excuses for him. His daughter is being left at home with him while his fiancé works. He is unstable and cannot stay clean. I want to take custody of my niece. While he was in jail I had her the whole 6months. How far fetched is it for me to obtain custody?

Call the cops. That's where you start. The custody issue - no one can predict if you can get custody. It might help that you had her for six months while he was in jail. Might not. You could at the very least find lawyers who do free consultations to at least get some advice.

Back