Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication open intox in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolly4424

Last night I got an open intox in public ticket. I am 21 but I was not carrying any beer and I was not drunk but my friend was carrying beer and was intoxicated. I feel like it was not fair for me to be getting this ticket since i was not drunk. I have to go to court for it on September 12th. Is there a fine I would have to pay, will it stay on my record? or is there a way I could just get community service and get it taken off my record?

I'm from MIchigan, too. I've noticed that as our economy has become the worst in the country, arrests for frivolous things, etc., have skyrocketed. Actually, on this forum it seems we have a disproportionate amount of people being busted, especially for alcohol related offenses.

As far as open intox goes, I know that's a strange area. I've heard of people being cited for having it within arm's reach while driving, where it looks like there's intent, etc. Depending on where you live, it may be worth fighting it on your own. I say depending on where you live, because certain parts of Oakland County are insanely pro-prosecution, whereas areas like Livingston county are more receptive to defendants. . .

Open Intox

Yea I just got my first Alcohol related charge last night, and it was an open intox. I was on the streets for welcome week for Western Michigan University and the police ran up behind me and ask me what I was drinking. I was going to try and fight it due to the fact I was probably one of the only legal drinkers on the streets that night, and I was not even driving anywhere. Im trying to figure out what I should do with this situation, and if I should try to fight it in to court? Any suggestions?

open intox in kalamazoo

I am a 23 year old WMU student and I received a ticket for an open intoxicant on a public street in Kalamazoo last week on September 4. I had just picked up the beer can on the side of the road and neglected to empty out the last bit left in the can and three officers came up behind me and ticketed me, originally intending to give me an MIP. I do have a witness who saw me pick up the can. My concern is that I have prior convictions: an MIP, an OUIL and I was also charged with felony possession of analogues but received the Holmes Youthful Training Act which kept the felony off my record. Am I looking at possible jail time? Will my HYTA status be revoked? How serious of an offense is this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back