Online Puppy Raffle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinydivine

Greetings! I live in Co. Bluffs, IA

My question concerns an online giveaway/raffle. The other day I entered a "Free Tiny Puppy Giveaway" via the net. But for one, it wasn't FREE because I "signed up" for $5 via Paypal. Then I got to thinking, how could I make this a sure thing that I can win? The location of those holding the GIVEAWAY is in California. So I did a little digging to find that

1) this type of thing is illegal in California IF it's a For-profit (which it is)
2) I live in Co. Bluffs, IA where IT IS legal to gamble on & off-line, hold raffles for profit, etc.

My birthday is this month & I really want one of these puppies! lol The law is the law. I don't think it's wrong/deceiving to show them they are breaking it, do you? Maybe use this in my favor, suggest to them I might get a lawyer involved? The WINNER is to be announced on their website at the end of April.

What do you think? Any suggestions on how to pursue this?

Thanx! Iowa

Did you know the word gullible is not in the dictionary?

Did you know the word gullible is not in the dictionary?
What do you mean by that comment? The website is a REAL breeder. This is a legit giveaway. I'm saying the raffle is illegal according to California laws. But where I am located it is not. If I wanted to purchase one of her prized puppies, I could very well do that. Thing is I don't have $3k laying around. Her FREE puppy raffle I assume will pay for the dog at $5 per entry. I am not gullible, I am trying to turn the breeders lack of the law in her state against her in my favor.

Thanx!

BTW
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and let someone else explain that joke to you. I can barely see my screen through the tears of laughter.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller.......

Bueller.......

I'm going to go ahead and let someone else explain that joke to you. I can barely see my screen through the tears of laughter.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller.......

Bueller.......

Ha! Ha! Jokes on me I guess. :biglol: Or was I simply playing along with your game of idiocy? Whatev. I thought this was an law advice forum not a child's playground.

Don't fall for this scam.

Go to the nearest dog pound and get a puppy.

Ha! Ha! Jokes on me I guess. :biglol: Or was I simply playing along with your game of idiocy? Whatev. I thought this was an law advice forum not a child's playground.

Perhaps not the warmest of responses but there are a few things that are a little confusing to me - if it's free, why did you even think of paying $5 via paypal? Second, even if this person claims they are a breeder, how do you know they are who they say they are? Next, how do you know that you didn't lose the raffle? The idea of a game of chance is that you aren't guaranteed to win anything for such a small entrance fee.

That said, the Judge is correct. Chances are this is a scam. Ever hear of the "mystery box?" It's an absurd scam that works on the good conscience of others. After all, the person running the raffle must be honest, right? Of course not. They are no more legitimate than a person who throws up a storefront. The problem online is that they aren't next door where you can call the police or spray paint the front door in the middle of the night.

What's your remedy? Write the raffle holder an email demanding the return of your money and citing what you've found out. If you don't get a refund of your money, report them to paypal as a scam and hopefully they'll get you back your five bucks. If not, be happy it's only five bits and, as the Judge said, go to your local pound and find yourself a dog you really like and can see for yourself in person. Additionally, a dog is box of crackers and you'd probably want to see it first. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back