old debt

snowqueen

Jurisdiction
New York
my husband received paperwork on an judgement in supreme court dated 2/24/2005,this is the first time he received paperwork.Is he still responsible for the debt?

my husband received paperwork on an judgement in supreme court dated 2/24/2005,this is the first time he received paperwork.Is he still responsible for the debt?

Probably, maybe, depends.
He should find out if the judgment is a judgment by contacting the court where the judgment is alleged to have been issued.

Some unscrupulous people make up fake judgments to scare people into paying.
He needs to verify the judgment.
Problem is, in your state, judgments can be very, very troubling.

Probably, maybe, depends.
He should find out if the judgment is a judgment by contacting the court where the judgment is alleged to have been issued.

Some unscrupulous people make up fake judgments to scare people into paying.
He needs to verify the judgment.
Problem is, in your state, judgments can be very, very troubling.
He went to county clerks office and they found suponea of judgement on file

Then he needs to talk to a lawyer and ask if he can get it overturned for failure of the plaintiff to notify him properly.

An initial consultation with a lawyer usually won't cost him anything.

It's very hard to do, and if that's the answer in his case, chapter 7 bankruptcy is his only other legal option to make it go away without paying it off, or having his wages attached!!!

Read this:

2013 New York Consolidated Laws :: CVP - Civil Practice Law & Rules :: Article 50 - (5001 - 5021) JUDGMENTS GENERALLY :: 5014 - Action upon judgment.

The judgment may have expired, may still be in force, or may have been renewed.

You'll have to go a lot deeper into the case file documents to figure that out. I suggest your husband go back to the courthouse and get copies of every scrap of paper in the file.

Back