Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Old CA DUI, help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nothingboy

I recieved 2 dui's within a year of each other in CA almost 9 years ago. I was ordered to attend the mandatory 18 month program in order to get my license back. I never enrolled in the program and haven't driven since that night. I want my license back now, i can't take it anymore. I am unable to attend the program because I don't drive and have no car, and work 40 hours a week. I want to know if i can go to another state and get a license and if so what would be the consequences for driving in california? Neither of my dui's had any property damage or injury, they were just the act of a dumb kid in his early 20's who liked to have to much fun... the man in his 30's would now like to be able to drive again, with no need for 18 months of watching videos and listening to drunks argue with each other.. There has to be something i can do, and I've never been able to get a solid answer. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I feel for you, and I think it's ridiculous, BUT

States have reciprocity with one another now. You will not get a driver's license in any other State until you are able to get a clear license from California. I've researched this issue extensively.

If you want, you can check out the website of other States and their Secretary of State, DLAD (Driver's License Appeals Division) and what have you, and they'll all eventually say you need to have the ability to get a clean license from whatever State revoked it (and I am assuming your license was revoked, as opposed to suspended).

That said, you should research your State (California) and see if there is some other way other than the classes, etc., to get your license back. Most States demand proof of sobriety (via AA sheets and letters) as well as a hearing.

Yes, it sucks. I wish they would give back the license but make the person have an ignition interlock device or some other technology to ensure they aren't driving drunk. Toyota has come up with many great new inventions for this, including a steering wheel that periodically tests sweat for alcohol, a device that scans the eye, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back