off the books money

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb45

My sister works a part time job as a receptionist . She gets paid a portion by check and by cash. She is on SSD. I once picked up her pay one week as she was in hospital. $250 by check and $80 cash. I would like to turn her in to both social security and the IRS. I would really like her in jail.

You want your sister in jail? Lovely family relationship going on there.

How do you know she isn't reporting this income to SSA and the IRS?

If what you suspect is true, I would be more inclined to put your sister's employer in jail. Though as Patricia has pointed out to you, you have no proof of wrongdoing. The $250 check could be W-2 employee payment and the $80 cash could be 1099 independent contractor earnings.

If your sister reports all of her earnings on her 1040 tax return, she has done no wrong. If her earnings exceed the $14,160 SS limit, the tax return will adjust the proper payment.

SS has a limit on monthly earnings that over that limit you lose your benefits. I'm not the only one that knows she gets paid cash.

My sister works a part time job as a receptionist . She gets paid a portion by check and by cash. She is on SSD. I once picked up her pay one week as she was in hospital. $250 by check and $80 cash. I would like to turn her in to both social security and the IRS. I would really like her in jail.

How do you know the money was for earnings?

Maybe, just maybe, the money was to repay her for a loan she had given to someone?

Or, maybe the money was a gift?

Could it have been the money was to purchase something for someone else?

Who knows why she received the payments?

Why would anyone care?

Were you jealous because she received $330, that week?

Do whatever you wish.

But, karma can be a real kick in the patootie, or the gut, or both!

I had missed the fact that this was disability SS. Did your sister just begin SSD recently? There is a trial period of nine months, not necessarily consecutive, in which the person may work without losing their SSD.

After that period, the limit you speak of is presently $1,000 per month. At $250 per week paid by week for 52 weeks, she would be over this limit by $1,000 for the year.

Yet, how do you know that she gets this amount each and every week? She could stop working near the end of the year. The $80 cash could have been reimbursement for business related expenses that had been incurred by your sister.

There are way too many scenarios. You are simply jumping to a conclusion due to your apparent dislike for your sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back