Obtaining Ownership of Heir Property

Whisper

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
I am wanting to obtain ownership of heir property. The property is deeded to my late grandmother, and my mother is now deceased. I have been paying the taxes on the house for about 20 years. I know that I have to get the signatures of all living heirs with their agreement to let me have their stake in it. My question is, what if a heir is unable to be located? How is that handled?

I am wanting to obtain ownership of heir property.

I understand the situation you've described, but I'm curious what you mean by "heir property."

The property is deeded to my late grandmother, and my mother is now deceased.

Ok...I assume your grandmother is also deceased. Correct? Which of them died first? Did either or both of them have wills? If so, what did the will(s) say with respect to the property in question? Were the estates properly probated? Is title to the property still in your grandmother's name?

I know that I have to get the signatures of all living heirs with their agreement to let me have their stake in it.

There's more to it than that. If the property still stands in your grandmother's name, obtaining a bunch of signatures from persons who are not your grandmother isn't going to do you any good.

My question is, what if a heir is unable to be located? How is that handled?

A lot depends on how you answer the questions I asked above, so let's start there and see where it goes. At the end of the day, however, you're going to need assistance from a local real estate attorney (probably one who also practices probate law).

Back