Justice System, Police, Courts Obstruction of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagerynine

An officer came in to my work where I am a department manager and asked to see an employee. I told him to wait a moment and I called for the General Manager as we are told that police inquiries should be directed to the GM. When I returned the officer asked where the employee was and I told him that the employee is on property but I have the GM coming over to speak with per company procedure. He took down my name and threatened to charge me with Obstructing Justice. I said that wasn't my intention as I am just following procedure and since he didn't want to wait for the GM asked if he had a warrant which he said he did and if I could see it which he declined and threatened me again. I went to the back to find the employee but she didn't want to come out. I went back out to talk to the officer and he was speaking with the GM and told her I was interfering with his arrest - she explained that I was just trying to follow the company policy of have the GM handle all police inquiries. We brought the employee out to him, who he arrested and did not address me further.
I know I probably didn't handle this as smoothly as possible but I have never had an issue with having a police officer speak with the GM. Normally they understand or even ask to see the manager. My question is will they come after me for obstruction or is this something, should he have found it necessary, he would have cited me for on the spot? I am worried sick and haven't been able to sleep since. Thank you.

As was mentioned on the other site you posted this question on, you have to be careful because you could potentially be charged with obstructing or delaying a peace officer in the performance of his duties. An arrest warrant is a command by a judge to take a person into custody, and depending on the nature of your business the officer may not have needed your permission to proceed in and make the arrest. Keep in mind that your company policy does not supersede the law.

It seems clear that this was a rather low level offense if they sent only one officer. But, for all you knew, it could have been a serious offense and any delay may have provided the suspect an opportunity to escape.

CdwJava, thank you for you advice on both sites. As you can probably tell it's got me very rattled. Am I overreacting to this? I can't eat, sleep...I just keep replay how I should have handled it different in my head over and over. I am someone who strictly follows the law and wont even speed and the fact that I inadvertently did something wrong is eating me up inside.

CdwJava, thank you for you advice on both sites. As you can probably tell it's got me very rattled. Am I overreacting to this? I can't eat, sleep...I just keep replay how I should have handled it different in my head over and over. I am someone who strictly follows the law and wont even speed and the fact that I inadvertently did something wrong is eating me up inside.

Relax, if the officer thought you were obstructing him, you'd have been arrested on the spot.
Your state is broke, and crime is big business out there.
Heck, your state is hiring 7,000 NEW corrections officers.
You were following your company's protocol.
You didn't have authority to do what was requested.
You were never shown a warrant, and even of you had been, you might not know what you were looking at anyway.
Stop obsessing and fretting, what will be, will be.
Next time, if there is a next time, simply be polite, and say, I'll get the big boss right away.
I don't have authority to do what you are asking, but as soon as the big boss arrives, she (or he) will know exactly what needs to be done.

Then smile, and excuse yourself.
Being polite and smiling can't be over done.

Relax, if the officer thought you were obstructing him, you'd have been arrested on the spot.
Your state is broke, and crime is big business out there.
Heck, your state is hiring 7,000 NEW corrections officers.
You were following your company's protocol.
You didn't have authority to do what was requested.
You were never shown a warrant, and even of you had been, you might not know what you were looking at anyway.
Stop obsessing and fretting, what will be, will be.
Next time, if there is a next time, simply be polite, and say, I'll get the big boss right away.
I don't have authority to do what you are asking, but as soon as the big boss arrives, she (or he) will know exactly what needs to be done.

Then smile, and excuse yourself.
Being polite and smiling can't be over done.

Thanks for the kind words. Actually I got a lot of relief tonight - I was at the pharmacy and there was a police officer outside. I asked nicely if I could talk to him, he was very friendly and approachable. I told him the story and he said I had nothing to worry about, worst case scenario he said I would have been arrested on the spot and the case most likely would have been throughout by a judge as I was trying to follow company protocol and not harbor a criminal. He apologized for the way the other officer spoke to me which he didn't have to do but was a nice gesture.

Feeling very relieved right now.

As AJ said, relax. And, as was posted over there, had the officer believed he should charge you he would have arrested you then and there. It should be over and done at this point.

Note that an arrest warrant is rarely EVER in hand when an officer makes an arrest of a person based upon that warrant. Only when a search warrant is issued is it required to be presented at the scene of a search - not so with an arrest warrant.

Last edited:
Yes, you are overreacting. You have nothing to worry about, and as you describe it you did nothing wrong. The officer was apparently annoyed that you didn't do what you were asked, but you had no obligation to do what he asked.
Unless you deliberately encouraged or assisted the person to escape they wouldn't have much of an argument to make against you. Your delay by requesting the GM is not the type of delay that would get you in trouble.

I agree with the others - relax, you will be fine. As the other officer said, you would have been arrested on the spot & a judge (after you explained you were following co. protocol), would most likely not have charged you with anything.

Thanks for the kind words. Actually I got a lot of relief tonight - I was at the pharmacy and there was a police officer outside. I asked nicely if I could talk to him, he was very friendly and approachable. I told him the story and he said I had nothing to worry about, worst case scenario he said I would have been arrested on the spot and the case most likely would have been throughout by a judge as I was trying to follow company protocol and not harbor a criminal. He apologized for the way the other officer spoke to me which he didn't have to do but was a nice gesture.

Feeling very relieved right now.

Well, that's good news.
Everyone feels better when situations get untangled, bluebirds chirp, the sun radiates its warmth, and little babies smile.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back