Notifing my trustee when I'm gone

John Doe Smith

Jurisdiction
California
Is there a place where I can register the name of my estate attorney and trustee so that I can be sure they are notified when I kick the bucket? I don't trust my greedy unwashed relatives to notify them since they would benefit greatly if it were to appear that I passed intestate. Besides, even if they are honest, I can never be sure that they will remember where they put the contact information.

Last edited:
Is there a place where I can register the name of my estate attorney and trustee so that I can be sure they are notified when I kick the bucket? I don't trust my greedy unwashed relatives to notify them since they would benefit greatly if it were to appear that I passed intestate. Besides, even if they are honest, I can never be sure that they will remember where that put the contact information.
Why don't you plan to regularly reach out to them (once a week, once a month, whatever)? That way, when you don't reach out, they'll be on notice.

Is there a place where I can register the name of my estate attorney and trustee so that I can be sure they are notified when I kick the bucket? I don't trust my greedy unwashed relatives to notify them since they would benefit greatly if it were to appear that I passed intestate. Besides, even if they are honest, I can never be sure that they will remember where that put the contact information.

Many people choose to retain an attorney or bank to make sure the estate of the dearly departed one is addressed as the decedent's will or trust documents dictate.

Frankly, if you're not close enough to make a monthly call, or even a quick email/text message, then you might want to rethink the person you've chosen.
I trust my trustee, it's not a relative. It's my CPA (or maybe I should say his firm) who does trustee work. But I only see him once a year. So unless he's contacted by the relatives I've given his name to, he wouldn't know.

I feel compelled to point out that you've veered away from any sort of legal issue. Whatever steps you want to implement between you and your CPA and attorney are for you and them to discuss.

I trust my trustee, it's not a relative. It's my CPA (or maybe I should say his firm) who does trustee work. But I only see him once a year. So unless he's contacted by the relatives I've given his name to, he wouldn't know.
Then you can find a friend you trust and give that friend the firm's information with instructions to notify them when you pass away.

Back