Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Not sure what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmee204

My son (17 yrs. old) was given alcohol by students while he was in college. We live in Louisiana. He was attending in Tennessee. We received a phone call at 1:40a.m. informing us that our son was being transported to Tennesse Metro Hospital because he had so much to drink. His level was three times above the legal limit. The college was supposed to house him on campus instead they put him in a an extended stay hotel with 19-21 year olds. We have, of course, signed him out of that college but the college doesn't seem to care about what happened to him. We are very frustrated and don't know what to do. Help!

I would contact a personal injury attorney in the city where the college is and consider an action against them. It is possible. Dorms with RA's and a certain amount of supervision and security is a whole lot different than an extended stay hotel. Further, you paid, I assume, for a dorm and didn't get it.

Of course, any damages that might be had will be mitigated, in part or in whole, because of the poor decisions made by an adult (I assume he was 18 years old or older). Unless he was forced to consume alcohol, this is a decision he made on his own.

I do agree, though, that if you paid for a room on campus and they failed to provide this room that there may be some breach of contract argument that can be made as you had an expectation he would be in a more closely monitored environment. How much such a claim might be worth is a big question since the person in question likely voluntarily consumed alcohol.

- Carl

Even at 17, issues of voluntary consumption will still serve to mitigate some of the liability. I suspect the only real claim they might have is the breach of contract and the failure to live up to the expectations they had apparently agreed to.

- Carl

Yes, we did pay for a dorm. We had made arrangements before we left our son there for a dorm room. When the housing director spoke to my son about moving from the extended stay hotel (15-20 minutes away from campus with absolutely no security) she said that my son didn't feel he needed to be in the dorms and that, if she were to put him in a dorm room, she would be "doing me a favor and giving someone else's room to him." She didn't think that was fair. Today I called the college back regarding the student loans, etc. They are saying we owe over $3000 in expenses for room & board! Being from Louisiana, I don't know what to do. I just can't see them getting away with this. The "head director" of the college met with us before we left and told us that "they have nothing to do with the students they put up in the extended stay hotels no matter what the age of the student. There is no such policy in place and because it (the hotel) isn't their property, they don't need to provide security or supervision for any of the students housed there." I'm at my wits end. Not only do we have the college bill to pay, we have the hospital bill as well! The college never even contacted us AT ALL about what had happened. I had to call them when I got to the hospital to tell them what had happened. NO ONE KNEW!

The problem is your anger is at the college,
and the real culprits are individual students, or those there at the "party."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back