Not sure about my rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Concerned Mom

Recently we had our son. Due to certain circumstances I transferred to the hospital. Per our insurance, it is necessary that both mother and baby submit urine samples for drug abuse.

Judge if you please; Rather try to recognize if I am a degenerate neglectful addict, I would hardly be here seeking advice attattempting to protect my family. Both my son, and I were both positive for THC.

The hospital informed us that a caseworker was going to interview us; And so we were. The caseworker informed us that our children would be interviewed, and that they would visit our home, and so we complied with all of their requirements. After Sarasota county closed our case do to sufficient evidence, and witnessing a satisfactory residence suitable for children. The case then transferred to the county in which we reside. The other county was the hospitals location.

Manatee county has since sent me for a two hour drug assessment, and suggested that I attend 8 wks of "therapy" for drug abuse. While I initially agreed to comply, I have since become increasingly aggravated with the state trained "therapist" , the barely 18 caseworker, and the constantly requested drug.

Our daughter is honor roll nearly every semester, our children are healthy, house clean, diets diversified, they study hard and play outside, as children should. Our first caseworker was more than pleasantly surprised by our household standards, and roles as parents, thus the reason she was happy to close the case on her end.

How much of this is mandatory for me to comply with. I feel as though I am being harassed. People deal with stress all the time, and to get drunk, drive home and ignore your children is legal. For me to unwind, not around our children, and be a responsible parent, I get treated like a crack addict. What are the legalities, and can I say no more?

No one has to do anything unless a judge so orders it.
And, even then that isn't necessarily a slam dunk, because you have appellate rights.
You can refuse to comply with their demands.
You aren't required to speak about anything to anyone, unless you wish to do so.

When you refuse, they'll sometimes take you to court.
If they do, you can request a court appointed counsel if you're unable to afford your own.

If they had the GOODS on you, they'd appear with a court order to remove your cildren.
This appears to be a fishing expedition.

Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back