Not married..What are his rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooconfused

My boyfriend, of about 5 years, and I are expecting a baby soon. We live together right now but am not sure that will work in the future. What parental or custodial rights does he have after the birth of our baby.
Also, can I give the baby my last name instead of his, even though he will be listed as the father on the birth certificate?
Thanks.

Not legal advice:

I wouldn't think the father would have very many rights until you go to court. As the mother, you will be brought a form to fill out for ss, and bc, you can put whatever name you want. You can put two last names if you wish.

Although I wouldn't recomend never letting the father see this child, as that never looks good, the other side of the coin is he has no order to enforce. Until he has that, you pretty much call the shots. Just take care not to be disrepectfull to the other parent.

If paternity is established, he has just as many rights to the child as you do. Not being married has nothing to do with it. It would be wise to file for custody and a visitation schedule after the baby is born. Just because the relationship is not working out does not mean he should have few or little rights to the child.

as far as the last name, that is your choice, howver if he is going to be involved in the childs life, many women still opt to give the baby dad's last name.

If paternity is established, he has just as many rights to the child as you do. Not being married has nothing to do with it. It would be wise to file for custody and a visitation schedule after the baby is born. Just because the relationship is not working out does not mean he should have few or little rights to the child.

as far as the last name, that is your choice, howver if he is going to be involved in the childs life, many women still opt to give the baby dad's last name.

How is/was paternity established? The only fact we have is-A woman is pregnant. She never mentioned any testing. And how would these rights be established without said testing? That's nothing more than speculation. I'm sure very woman claims, at first, that she was with only one man. Not saying I think this is the case with this woman, but, pointing out that a judge would not have proof, would be speculating without such a test.

And what's with filing papers? She hasn't broken up with this man yet. For christ's sake, she's pregnant, and as you should well know, women are not thinking clearly in that state. Give her some time.

What would she be filing for? "Ya JUDGE, I filed for custody, even though we are together, just in case." God, I bet the look on the judge's face would be priceless.

How is/was paternity established? The only fact we have is-A woman is pregnant. She never mentioned any testing. And how would these rights be established without said testing? That's nothing more than speculation. I'm sure very woman claims, at first, that she was with only one man. Not saying I think this is the case with this woman, but, pointing out that a judge would not have proof, would be speculating without such a test.

And what's with filing papers? She hasn't broken up with this man yet. For christ's sake, she's pregnant, and as you should well know, women are not thinking clearly in that state. Give her some time.

What would she be filing for? "Ya JUDGE, I filed for custody, even though we are together, just in case." God, I bet the look on the judge's face would be priceless.

In case you haven't noticed, this woman is asking as what to do once she's broken up with him. Don't belittle someone else's valuable help because you are ignorant of what is going on. Do you think she'd be asking for her health? She's not going to do it now, but when and if that time comes, she'll have that information there. THAT is why she asked, not because she plans on filing tomorrow. Think before you respond, it helps.

In case you haven't noticed, this woman is asking as what to do once she's broken up with him. Don't belittle someone else's valuable help because you are ignorant of what is going on. Do you think she'd be asking for her health? She's not going to do it now, but when and if that time comes, she'll have that information there. THAT is why she asked, not because she plans on filing tomorrow. Think before you respond, it helps.

So this is a conspiracy against a fathers rights? I have full custody of my child, and didn't need a "lawyer" to do it. I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to family law. :yes:

To whom may know an answer.

I have a quick question for now. My ex gave me herpes while we were married. ididnt know would affect me so much now. Is very hard to lo live with. There's any charge or legal terms to charge him with. I appreciated your help from my heart. Thank you and God Bless!

Probably not. Herpes is extremely contagious and hard to prove who gave it to you. If you have unsafe sex with him then you are at risk for STD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back