Not enough money made in last 2 quarters

KathrynCSmart

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My dad has worked for ten years straight in one job was disabled but was still in employee for a 6 months using his pto for his medical benefits he was told that he didn't make enough in the last two quarters to collect in NC. And he tried to apply in SC which is where he lives and they said he didn't work in that state so he can't file is there nothing he can do???

My dad has worked for ten years straight in one job was disabled but was still in employee for a 6 months using his pto for his medical benefits he was told that he didn't make enough in the last two quarters to collect in NC. And he tried to apply in SC which is where he lives and they said he didn't work in that state so he can't file is there nothing he can do???

You file for UI in the state where you worked, not where you reside.

Your dad can file an appeal.

This site instructs one how to do so:

https://des.nc.gov/PortalCommon/Content/downloads/NCESC569E.pdf

Frankly, if the appeal is based on lack of necessary work hours, an appeal might not be effective.

However, one has the right to appeal.

The only thing that an appeal might help is if all of his wages were not reported. The requirement to have a certain amount of earnings is standard and inflexible. Not everyone qualifies for unemployment income. I'm not sure what you mean by "was still in employee for a 6 months using his pto for his medical benefits". If he is disabled he can apply for disability income through social security.

if his PTO was only paying for his medical deductions, then he had no wages beyond that to count. Was he actually getting any pay after deductions for those 6 months?

Back