Not Divorced yet and Child Support - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkaydz

Hi...

My wife and I have seperated. I have left the house but continue to pay for the things the children need and keeping receipts. I'm also paying for the kids (two kids) daycare monthly, keeping receipts too.

I don't know if she's getting divorce proceedings ready, and for myself, I haven't gotten it together yet either. All this is pretty much fresh.

However, we're very angry at each other right now and all she says to me when we talk how things will be paid is how the NY Courts are going to take all my money.

I only make $22,000 a year. I heard NY takes 25% in child support for the two kids (as opposed to 17% for one child). A lawyer I spoke to briefly said I would be paying out only about $500 and something a month.

I'm currently paying $800 a month for the daycare for the two kids (small children) and I told her if child support begins, she'll actually end up getting less than what I'm doing for her currently. But she acts like she knows something different. Looking at the threads around here, I keep seeing all this talk about Alimony. She makes just about the same as me so it's not like we're living high on the hog or anything.

And since we're not divorced yet, where do I stand in any of this? I don't mind taking care of my children, but she was talking as if I had to pay for her rent, and other utility bills as well. I don't think I have to if I'm not living there anymore.

I didn't abandon my children. I still pick them up everyday and pay for their things. She's mad because I won't pay for her things.

What should I do? Go back? Stay out? Legal Seperation? Help please. I'm feeling a little out there on this one.

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back