north carolina - Philippines divorce

makingthemove

my friend lives in the Philippines and she is married to a guy from north carolina.

she wants a divorce tomove on with her life.

from what i read a nc divorce is rather cheap and easy but does the filing person need to actually live in nc?

does the filing person need to actually live in nc?

Yes.

She would have to be a resident for at least 6 months.

A divorce in the Philippines doesn't appear to be an option so here are two other alternatives:

1 - Establish residency in a US state with a shorter residency requirement. Nevada is the shortest with only 6 weeks:

State Residency Requirements for Divorce

There are probably plenty of lawyers in Nevada that have flat fee quickie divorce processes.

2 - Have her spouse file for the divorce in NC.

my friend lives in the Philippines and she is married to a guy from north carolina.

she wants a divorce tomove on with her life.

from what i read a nc divorce is rather cheap and easy but does the filing person need to actually live in nc?

People seem to feel that a divorce allows them to move on.

If dude is in NC, and dudette is in THE PI, they've BOTH already moved on.

There's nothing he can do to hurt her, nor she him.

If he's active military, (or retired) she can talk to the nearest JAG on the nearest military base about monies owed her, or perhaps how she can uncouple.

People seem to feel that a divorce allows them to move on.

If dude is in NC, and dudette is in THE PI, they've BOTH already moved on.

There's nothing he can do to hurt her, nor she him.

If he's active military, (or retired) she can talk to the nearest JAG on the nearest military base about monies owed her, or perhaps how she can uncouple.
it allows them to remarry the person of their dreams

in the Philippines its illegal for a married woman to be with another man. he can file charges and have her arrested if he chooses to do so. he doesnt want to see her, contact her and claims he doesnt gave $75 for the divorce.

sounds like he has moved on forgetting his prior commitment.

Then she really has no choice but to come to the US and establish residency. Even then, a US divorce will not be recognized in the Philippines so she wouldn't be able to remarry there.

it allows them to remarry the person of their dreams

in the Philippines its illegal for a married woman to be with another man. he can file charges and have her arrested if he chooses to do so. he doesnt want to see her, contact her and claims he doesnt gave $75 for the divorce.

sounds like he has moved on forgetting his prior commitment.

You're focusing on emotion.

I am quick to discount emotion, because all I know is law.

I made some suggestions, that she might find useful, should she choose to pursue (IF THEY APPLY).

Otherwise, one must be NEVER allow the heart to veto the brain.

If she seeks a divorce, that won't be honored in The PI, perhaps she must choose to emigrate to any of 75 odd nations that will allow her to divorce the cad.

However, she made the mistake by marrying the bum.

Maybe she might not wish to repeat that mistake again?

Realistically, the dude has used her up.

I doubt that he cares if she were to be with 100,000 men.

Fact is, the cad is no longer in The PI, is he?

Then she really has no choice but to come to the US and establish residency. Even then, a US divorce will not be recognized in the Philippines so she wouldn't be able to remarry there.

yes, a US divorce is recognized in the phils, however if he wont divorce her the annulment process takes about 2 years and costs about $5,000 usd vs a NC divorce which might be less than $100

yes, a US divorce is recognized in the phils, however if he wont divorce her the annulment process takes about 2 years and costs about $5,000 usd vs a NC divorce which might be less than $100

All is not lost.
A NC divorce can be initiated online.
Your friend can file based upon her husband's NC residency.
She will eventually be required (at some point) to spend a few weeks in NC.

She might start by investigating options such as this:

Start Your North Carolina Divorce Online - North Carolina Divorce Source

There are dozens more that will allow the same outcome.

Due diligence must be used.

In order to file for a divorce in North Carolina, residency requirements must be met for the court to accept the case. If the court discovers it does not have jurisdictional rights to hear the case it will not be accepted or it will eventually be dismissed. The requirements are as follows:

The plaintiff or defendant in the suit for divorce must have resided in the State for a period of six months prior to filing. The divorce may be filed in any county in which the parties reside. (North Carolina Statutes - Chapter 50 - Sections: 50-8)

North Carolina Divorce Laws - North Carolina Divorce Source

All is not lost.

In order to file for a divorce in North Carolina, residency requirements must be met for the court to accept the case. If the court discovers it does not have jurisdictional rights to hear the case it will not be accepted or it will eventually be dismissed. The requirements are as follows:

The plaintiff or defendant in the suit for divorce must have resided in the State for a period of six months prior to filing. The divorce may be filed in any county in which the parties reside. (North Carolina Statutes - Chapter 50 - Sections: 50-8)

Actually coming to the US will require a visa and his help would also be required........ not likely.

I see the requirements and wondering if the husband meets the requirements can the wife, from the Philippines, initiate or file for the divorce?

Actually coming to the US will require a visa and his help would also be required........ not likely.

I see the requirements and wondering if the husband meets the requirements can the wife, from the Philippines, initiate or file for the divorce?

I can't advise you, mate.

However, my careful reading of the site and statutes would derive an answer in the AFFIRMATIVE, if I were giving an answer, because I can't do that, mate.

I suggest you peruse the site more carefully, friend.
You are free to utilize the best friend any curious person has these days, GOOGLE.
There are many ways one can skin a cat.

Back