1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Non-exclusive copyright

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by TheFinePrint, Mar 17, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TheFinePrint

TheFinePrint Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Washington
    Hi, I wanted to know if I can have a copy center print out 25 copies of my novel even though it is already published on a free e-books website. The non-exclusive copyright is in my name. I would not be selling the copies but giving them away.

Groser and Groser likes this.
  2. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

They may not do it but it would be legal.

3. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

You'll probably have to sign a form/waiver of some type.

4. flyingron

flyingron Well-Known Member

The copyright is in always "in the name" of the author. It can be assigned or licensed to others. Your agreement with the site almost assuredly grants them rights to distribute it. Whether that right is exclusive or not or is an outright assignment of all your rights depends on what you agreed to.

5. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

What does your contract with that website say?

Blue Slipper likes this.
  6. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

How many pages are in your book?

If you own the copyright, absent provisions to the contrary, you can make a gazillion copies of the book, LAWFULLY.

As an example Office Max/Office Depot charges = 250 copies at 16¢ a page = $40.00

120 pages = $20.00

If you buy or possess a printer, the cost might be less.

If you shop around, there are many do it yourself copy centers with good equipment, lowering your total costs.

7. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

We have no ideas what abilities you have or what some unknown "copy center" might or might not be willing to do.

There's no such thing as a "non-exclusive copyright."

If your intent was to ask whether it would be legal for someone you hire to make reproductions of a novel in which you are the owner of the copyright, the answer is yes. Absolutely. "[T]he owner of [a] copyright . . . has the exclusive right[] to do and to authorize [others to do] any of the following: (1) to reproduce the copyrighted work." 17 U.S.C. section 106. The only exception would be if you have given someone an exclusive license or have transferred your rights of copyright.