Non-exclusive copyright

TheFinePrint

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hi, I wanted to know if I can have a copy center print out 25 copies of my novel even though it is already published on a free e-books website. The non-exclusive copyright is in my name. I would not be selling the copies but giving them away.

You'll probably have to sign a form/waiver of some type.

The copyright is in always "in the name" of the author. It can be assigned or licensed to others. Your agreement with the site almost assuredly grants them rights to distribute it. Whether that right is exclusive or not or is an outright assignment of all your rights depends on what you agreed to.

Hi, I wanted to know if I can have a copy center print out 25 copies of my novel even though it is already published on a free e-books website. The non-exclusive copyright is in my name. I would not be selling the copies but giving them away.

How many pages are in your book?

If you own the copyright, absent provisions to the contrary, you can make a gazillion copies of the book, LAWFULLY.

As an example Office Max/Office Depot charges = 250 copies at 16¢ a page = $40.00

120 pages = $20.00

If you buy or possess a printer, the cost might be less.

If you shop around, there are many do it yourself copy centers with good equipment, lowering your total costs.

I wanted to know if I can have a copy center print out 25 copies of my novel even though it is already published on a free e-books website.

We have no ideas what abilities you have or what some unknown "copy center" might or might not be willing to do.

The non-exclusive copyright is in my name.

There's no such thing as a "non-exclusive copyright."

If your intent was to ask whether it would be legal for someone you hire to make reproductions of a novel in which you are the owner of the copyright, the answer is yes. Absolutely. "[T]he owner of [a] copyright . . . has the exclusive right[] to do and to authorize [others to do] any of the following: (1) to reproduce the copyrighted work." 17 U.S.C. section 106. The only exception would be if you have given someone an exclusive license or have transferred your rights of copyright.

Back