Nolo and jury trial for traffic court in lousiana??

Jesse covington

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
You
I received a traffic ticket in leeseville la, for illegal turning. When I plead not guilty and asked for a jury trial they said no and said that does not happen in Louisiana. They also never offered a plea of nolo. I am from Atlanta and having a simple traffic ticket bound over to state court for a jury trial is not a foreign concept. Since they agreed not to put it on my record or points for insurance I paid a court cost of 70 instead of the full amount and it was over. I wanted to know if I was being lied to for future references since I'm stationed here for the next 3 years. I fight all my tickets and have no points on my record because of the jury trial option and nolo.

They also never offered a plea of nolo.

Irrelevant and useless detail.

A "nolo contendere" plea (DEFINED: a plea by which a defendant in a criminal prosecution accepts conviction as though a guilty plea had been entered but does not admit guilt.) is the equivalent of a "guilty" plea.

I am from Atlanta and having a simple traffic ticket bound over to state court for a jury trial is not a foreign concept.

No it isn't in GA, perhaps, apparently it is in LA.

Since they agreed not to put it on my record or points for insurance I paid a court cost of 70 instead of the full amount and it was over.

It is, indeed, over!

Your "plea" has effectively resulted in Res Judicata: a matter that has been adjudicated by a competent court and may not be pursued further by the same parties.

I wanted to know if I was being lied to for future references since I'm stationed here for the next 3 years.

As I wasn't a party to any of your alleged communications recited above, I have no idea if you were deceived.

I suggest you simply OBEY all traffic and criminal laws, lest you find yourself facing charges under the UCMJ.

You might wish to brush up on the traffic laws of LA:

http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/DPSF...178e092686257c1a005ff1cb/$FILE/Guide 2017.pdf

Louisiana Driving Laws - DrivingLaws101.com

Louisiana Traffic Laws You May Not Know You Are Breaking | Spencer Calahan Injury Lawyers

http://www.louisianaweekly.com/new-traffic-laws-take-effect-in-louisiana/

» Louisiana Laws > Revised Statutes > Title 32 – Motor Vehicles and Traffic RegulationLawServer

I fight all my tickets and have no points on my record because of the jury trial option and nolo.

Again, if you OBEY all traffic laws, you'll NEVER receive a citation.

If you are stopped by law enforcement, be polite, be professional, be attentive, show contrition; and you'll probably be allowed to drive away with a verbal (or written) warning.

When I plead not guilty and asked for a jury trial they said no and said that does not happen in Louisiana. They also never offered a plea of nolo. . . . I wanted to know if I was being lied to

I doubt anyone who posts here regularly is sufficiently familiar with traffic court procedure in Louisiana to confirm or refute this. However, the notion of a jury trial for a simple traffic ticket sounds completely absurd to me (i.e., they don't have jury trials for traffic tickets where I live either), so I have no reason to believe that's not true. Also, while I suppose you could plea nolo contendre to a traffic ticket, such a plea is no different than a guilty plea as far as the traffic court is concerned. Regardless, it was up to you to make the plea and not incumbent on the court to "offer" it to you.

I fight all my tickets and have no points on my record because of the jury trial option and nolo.

Maybe you could avoid getting tickets by following the law when you drive. Just a suggestion.

Back