No will left when my dad died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

debt

my dad died without a will. also his name was the only name on his bank and safety deposit box. it contained the money for his buriel. my brother has recorded some document at the courthouse, a quick claim deed 3 weeks after my dad died. i live in another state and my other 3 siblings will not co=operate in dealing with my dad belongings...mostly sentimental items. without going to a probate court, i live in another state...will anything happen on its own ie..the state stepping in...so i'm not the bad guy?

Sorry to hear of dad's loss.
He died intestate, so state law of intestacy applies. Google "his state intestacy" for more details.
Nope, without probate, not much will happen now.
From what you say, the vultures have picked dad's stuff clean by now.
It happens in any families.
Death breeds greed, sad but true.
If the estate wasn't worth millions, try talking to your siblings.
Ask about getting the things you want, dad's high school yearbook, bible, work tools, whatever.
You want to avoid court, if you can.
Why?
Takes too long, costs too much money, makes hard feelings, usually gets you nowhere.

thank you....also my dad had his money in the bank and his burial money in a safety deposit box. no one was on his bank account. it has been 3 months and the funeral home wants paid. I have tried to guide my siblings on what we need to do...only one brother signed the bill for the funeral but will not co-operate in finding out how to pay the funeral bill. I have tried to get us all on the same page but they only want to fight. is there something I can do.

thank you....also my dad had his money in the bank and his burial money in a safety deposit box. no one was on his bank account. it has been 3 months and the funeral home wants paid. I have tried to guide my siblings on what we need to do...only one brother signed the bill for the funeral but will not co-operate in finding out how to pay the funeral bill. I have tried to get us all on the same page but they only want to fight. is there something I can do.

You can go to probate court, or keep trying to reason with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back