Consumer Law, Warranties No Verbal Agreement for additional work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mslfranklin

Hi, This is my first post!

I entered into a bidding contract for work to be done at my home. I added on 280 square feet and also had my kitchen redone. The price that I was quoted was $41,000 and on the contract it states that mable cabinets would be made for the kitchen and all necessary plumbing, electrical and piping will be done for the kitchen and the new addition. He also states that sinks, diswashers and fixtures are not included. Before I signed the written contract the contractor informed me that the work would be completed within 45-60 days and that his company worked 6 days a week to ensure completiion. I had looked at 4 different contractors, some quotes hire and some quotes lower. I chose this company because of many factors. 1st, it was stated the work would be completed expediently, 2nd it was stated that they do not tack on additional charges once the work is completed, 3rd the contractors seemed genuinely truthful at first. Unfortunatley the work took over 5 months to be completed, the contractors never worked five days within a week, more like 2 days a weeks. Also, by the end of the contract I had not only spent over $10,000 for, counter tops, tile for the floor, grout, closet door, faucets, and sinks and whatever else was needed. But was floored when I received a notice in the mail from a lawyer stating that the contractor was sueing me for over $17,000 because he stated he did extra work. The payments that were requested was as follows: $4,100 to start the work. Approximately 2-3 weeks later they requested and was paid an additional $18,450 about another 3-4 weeks later they requested an additional $9,225 and that left the remainder of $9,225. The final inspection has not been approved because they have not installed the shower door. I have not heard from them since the beginning of July and then I received the attorney's letter in the mail stated I owe the constractor $17,000. I did not verbally agree for any additional work to be done and there most definitely were not any additional work done at all. I actually had to hire another contractor to finish up some of the work for my satisfaction. The contractor threaten me during the process of the work being done, by stating that he has sued a home owner and won before and that he had more resources than I had because I was only a single Mother.

Please give some advice as to what I can do about this.

Since so much money is involved you should consult an attorney. There are several points he needs to evaluate: first of all your contract, then if the contractor breached by delay, if, then what remedies the contract provides, and if the contractor has a quasi-contractual right for recovery for the additional work done. This all cannot be evaluated here on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back