No lease

ARONES4

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Hello
I am not under lease with the property. Do I have to give a 30 day notice to vacate. They gave me no 30 day notice to raise my rent.

Hello
I am not under lease with the property. Do I have to give a 30 day notice to vacate. They gave me no 30 day notice to raise my rent.

A landlord can give you a written notice to move, allowing you one month as required by Maryland law and specifying the date on which your tenancy will end. Montgomery County (single-family rentals excepted) and Baltimore City are exceptions—the landlord must provide two months' notice to end a tenancy in these communities.

Your landlord may legally provide less notice if you have not paid rent, if you have violated other terms of your rental agreement (for example, bringing in an unauthorized tenant), or if you have violated basic responsibilities imposed by law (such as by dealing drugs on the rental property).

Notice Requirements for Maryland Tenants
It is easy for tenants in Maryland to get out of a month-to-month rental agreement. You must provide the same amount of notice (usually one month) as the landlord (unless your rental agreement provides for a shorter amount of notice). Be sure to check your rental agreement which may require that your notice to end the tenancy be given on the first of the month or on another specific date.

In some situations, you may be able to move out with less (or no) notice—for example, if your landlord seriously violates the rental agreement or fails to fulfill legal responsibilities affecting your health or safety.

You appear to be in a month to month tenancy.

It is a lease, just one created by state statute.

You can give the landlord a month notice (30 days) and move out.

I suggest you do provide NOTICE in WRITING, (ask if the property has a form you can use), otherwise simply say something similar to this:

I, Timmy Tenant, will vacate my rental unit, 1234 Apartment Lane, Unit 56, Mystery Valley, MD 00321 by 4:00PM (or close of business) on 28 February 2018.

Signed: Timmy Tenant Date: 24 January 2018

(Make sure the date you plan to leave is at least 30 days from the date you tender your notice.)

Ask how you are to return (and to whom) the keys to the unit.

NOTE: The day you deliver your notice is not counted as part of the notice time.
If you deliver the notice by hand, the 30 days starts the nest day. Be sure you count the days CORRECTLY.

If the notice is sent by mail, it should be mailed early enough to be delivered in time; courts generally presume delivery 3 days after you mail the notice.

If you mail your notice, do so by Priority Mail, certified, or registered.
Using those services will give you PROOF OF DELIVERY.

If you hand deliver notice, ask the manager or owner, to sign the form, or have someone snap a picture of you delivering the letter.

Why?

You might beed PROOF you gave notice, if things become contentious later.

Yes you need to give notice.

Your landlord likely needs to give more than 30 day notice of the rent increase, but that doesn't mean you can move out with short notice.

Back