No insurance, suspended licnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie

In Feb. 2009 I was caught for no insurance. I went to court, got a fine and the Judge said that if I was caught again within 1, as in ONE, year that I would loose my licnes for ONE year. Now in 2012, over 3 (three) years later, I was unfortunate to get another no insurance. So, I just plead guilty because it had been over three years since my last one. Then, I recieve a letter stating that my licines were suspended because of these two no insurances charges. I was doing some research and I found that there was an amendment in July of 2010, and those papers state that if you get two no insurances within 5 years then you loose your licines for one year. My delima is that I was told by the judge that my licines would be suspended for one year if I was caught driving without insurance within that year. Did a law change at some point that went to getting caught within 5 years resulted in a suspension? What am I supposed to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In Feb. 2009 I was caught for no insurance. I went to court, got a fine and the Judge said that if I was caught again within 1, as in ONE, year that I would loose my licnes for ONE year. Now in 2012, over 3 (three) years later, I was unfortunate to get another no insurance. So, I just plead guilty because it had been over three years since my last one. Then, I recieve a letter stating that my licines were suspended because of these two no insurances charges. I was doing some research and I found that there was an amendment in July of 2010, and those papers state that if you get two no insurances within 5 years then you loose your licines for one year. My delima is that I was told by the judge that my licines would be suspended for one year if I was caught driving without insurance within that year. Did a law change at some point that went to getting caught within 5 years resulted in a suspension? What am I supposed to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the ability to appeal your suspension, I suggest you start with the state DMV and/or the court that previously sentenced you.

Apparently the law did change and you already found it.

I don't think there is much for you to do but wait out the one year, get your insurance, and get your license back.
It might be possible to get a provisional license that allows for you to drive to/from work, but you would have to provide proof of insurance and have a lot of luck on your side. I am going to assume that there is a good reason you have not carried insurance and may not be able to get it, so you are probably just out of luck.

You haven't been treated unfairly, you just got caught unaware.

Having been suspended, if you continue to drive you face additional charges and could have your vehicle towed/impounded, which is incredibly expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back