NM Speeding Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrazor23

Here is the senerio: This Memorial Weekend I traveled home to my parents in NM. Upon return my son (9 months) had become ill, and had been screaming from the severe altitude changes that comes with mountain driving. In passing through a small town (Elida, NM) the speed was reduced to 35. Admittadly I never hit this speed (officially clocked at 52), as we were despeartly attempting to hit the town where my inlaws live, which was about an hour and a half yet to go. I did happen to be traveling with my inlaws (in a seperate vehicle in front of us) whom were speeding as well (caught at 46) and a third car was clocked at a reported 42 (behind us.) none others of which were ticketed. Also, all three of us were passed in the same mile marker by a state trooper who was easliy doing 70-75 mph, no lights, no sirens. As I though of it later, we should have chased him down and made a citizens arrest... but that's not really my beef. I want to know what arguement I ought to have with the judge (part time as he may be). My wife and I DID go immediately to the ER and my son was diagnosed with two ear infections. I want the ticked dropped all in all, but am not sure how to go about it. There is no way someone can drive sanely with a screaming child in the car. Oh... not to mention the officer never asked to see my insurance or registration. He said, "Can I have your liscence and year of your car." This led me to believe he had already decided to write me a ticket regartless. Anywho, do I request a deferment? Or how do I go about figting this, as the officer was rather sloppy in is his methodology, and rather unsympathetic.

Thanks,
MR. W.

New Mexico Speeding Ticket

Or how do I go about figting this, as the officer was rather sloppy in is his methodology, and rather unsympathetic.

You will find me also unsympathetic about your New Mexico speeding ticket. It seems that your real beef is that the officers gave the slower cars a warning but issued you a speeding ticket.

You admit that you were speeding, that you were aware of the clearly marked speed limit but somehow felt that it shouldn't apply to you. Well aren't you special.

Call the clerk of court in Elida, New Mexico and talk nicely to the her. Ask her if you are eligible for a deferment and the ticket not be reported back to your home state or if there is any way to receive a reduction of the violation. Otherwise your only options are to retain an attorney to represent you or for you to return for your court date.

What is your home state? There are a few that do not enter out of state speeding tickets on your MVR.

I agree with lwpat, speeding is speeding and pretty dangerous.

However, a judge might be moved to at least reduce the fine when you tell him about the sickness of your child and that you were heading for the ER once you came home. Having paperwork to prove that might of course help.

But I would advise you to keep your argument strictly to that topic. Judges don't like to hear at all about "sloppy or unfriendly cops" etc. That line of argument will probably get you the same reaction from the judge as you got it from lwpat.

The officer might not have been friendly, but he did his job and he was well within his discretion when he dealt with all the people involved here differently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back