Nlack-colored mold in laundry room

LegallyLost

Jurisdiction
Texas
Health and safety in rent house
TWO days ago was attempted breakin of house. Last week car was burglarized. Yesterday I told Llord that the height of the bushes was mentioned. I suggested to Llord they could be cut into a canopy to keep shade. Llord barked back at me: ' Did anyone mention the stuff in the driveway could be attracting burglars?' (I do have stuff there. He has praised me for whittling away at it) It then appeared he tried to get me to admit the windows were unlocked the night of the attempted breakin. I reminded him of the text i sent warning to stay inside possible burglar! He then said 'i was only trying figure out what happened last night so i can find solutions' I said, well if that's so, why did you bark at me when i gave you one?' Then I said I try to be reasonable, but this is too much. You trying to blame the breakin on me. He said I was being "overly sensitive" and didnt want to discuss this. He later demanded that we talk face to face. Then he try to blame the mold on me!
Other items that have not been repaired: * the dishwasher I've been here year and it has not worked. it won't drain dirty water. * Dripping Faucets in the laundry room causing that black mold (Llord says if I had my w/d hooked up the water would not be dripping down the Walls. I said' that would merely conceal the problem and not fix the dripping faucets'. To date I wash my clothes and linens in bathtub and line dry. *I can't use patio or back driveway bcs of huge Mulberry tree that inhabits birds and squirrels. Move-in Llord said he was going to trim tree back off the patio and driveway but he didnt. in fact I climbed the ladder up into the tree as best I could with a back injury and trimmed as many bushes as possible but it has engulfed the power supply line to my house and im not going near it. He did kindly loan me a pole saw!
* Ring camera over garage was pointed mostly toward his side so the pics of the car burglar are unclear and probably not useable. (And i find out that I pay the electricity for the lighted camera, but it would be better if he'd told me up front. Now i wonder what else i pay for that i dont know about. Yesterday I notice he now parks out front, adjusted the camera to be more centered and adjusted the light so it's not on all day and night. He said he's parking in front to make workspace but that was two days before he started fixing the carport. It's bcs he didnt want HIS car covered in filthy bird poop and squirrel urine. It stinks SO bad and ruins paint. *The garage I informed the landlord that one corner (holding the door) has two by four standards that are not touching the bottom horizontal board. That wall is unstable and nothing has been done about it. Also the lighting in the garage shows a lux rating of 3. Not 300... THREE. I'm not going to try to work out there and sure not use any of my power tools at that level. I can only see out there during the day with both the big door and the side door open. Then my dog gets out and i have to go chase her. She is deaf and cannot hear if i holler to her. I can't run so I have to get in the car and find her. *Fence is falling in two places... he talks like he's going to fix things but never does. But oh man if the rent is late!!! * The railing on the outside steps is not connected to the ground so it is no support.
Because I voiced my concerns yesterday he said he didnt think i would ever be happy there and should start looking for another place. This the very day my house was almost broken into and a week after my car WAS broken into! My first concern is the black mold. Do i move? Am I already I infected? Is my stuff contaminated? Llord told me yesterdayesterday to start looking for new place but won't give me a date I have to be out or how much deposit he already knows hes going to keep. I can't afford to just pack up and go. And where? I have a dog and 5 generations of family heirlooms. What do I do to protect my health? A bottle of bleach isn't going to fix this.

I'm not even attempting to read most of this nonsense.

Bushes? Burglaries? Junk in driveway? "Llord"??????

Why don't you condense your post into two sentences then ask your question.

I can't afford to just pack up and go. And where? I have a dog and 5 generations of family heirlooms. What do I do to protect my health?

It is never wise to argue with a landlord.

A landlord has many legal methods to retaliate.

It might behoove you to apologize (with your fingers crossed behind your back), ask the landlord how we can work together to make things better, or prepare to get your notice to vacate.

There's very little you can do about the things that vex you, because no one with the power to help you really cares what you're enduring.

If you have contracted an illness, the sure fire way to know is to make an appointment with a physician or visit the nearest Urgent Care Facility or ER Room of a nearby hospital.

It seems you likely did not handle the needed repairs properly. There is usually a specific method described in a lease for reporting damages or repairs, and it usually should be done in writing. Hardly anybody ever does this and it turns into an argument if who said what and when.
A long list of things the landlord never fixed doesn't mean much if you can't prove the landlord ever knew.
The mold is probably not anything that is effecting your health. Even if you don't install a washer you could put a cap on the faucet to stop the drip.
It sounds like you are unlikely to get much of a deposit back if you move out. You either need to make amends with the landlord or start looking for a new place you can afford.
You don't have to move until the landlord gives you written notice. You will have 30-60 days from that date depending on the laws in your state and the language in your lease.

It seems you likely did not handle the needed repairs properly. There is usually a specific method described in a lease for reporting damages or repairs, and it usually should be done in writing. Hardly anybody ever does this and it turns into an argument if who said what and when.
A long list of things the landlord never fixed doesn't mean much if you can't prove the landlord ever knew.
The mold is probably not anything that is effecting your health. Even if you don't install a washer you could put a cap on the faucet to stop the drip.
It sounds like you are unlikely to get much of a deposit back if you move out. You either need to make amends with the landlord or start looking for a new place you can afford.
You don't have to move until the landlord gives you written notice. You will have 30-60 days from that date depending on the laws in your state and the language in your lease.
All of our communications weRe via text. I'm in texas and often a civil judge will accept those. I didn't want to get all formal and start a rift.. case in point... i merEly passed on what the officer said and the Llord (landlord) hit the roof! Thank you for your feedback.

Respectfully... so I either pack up and leave or live with the LORDing in Landlord???? Don't tenants have rights too? (In texas). Thank you for your feedback.

Respectfully... so I either pack up and leave or live with the LORDing in Landlord???? Don't tenants have rights too? (In texas). Thank you for your feedback.

No one on this site has any ability to actually help you.

We can point you in the right direction, hopefully, so that you can try to help yourself.

That said, if I told you Texas Code Blah Blah Blah Yaffa Yappy Yadda, says the landlord must do XXXX, YYYY, and ZZZ; do you think th elandlord would have to obey you?

No, the landlord could ignore you, as you can do me.

The landlord, you, and I would have to obey a lawful court order.

Even if a county or city building inspector told the landlord he must whackity, whack, whack; the landlord could take the matter to court.

As a lawyer, and a Texas District Court Judge, I've learned one thing.
Some people don't care even if a judge order them to pay child support, stay away from Cinderella, etc...
Some people keep on doing whtever it they want to do, say like invading a sovereign country because they want to escape something.

You can hire a lawyer to try and help you.

Yoi can see if an elected official will help you.

You can see if the police or sheriff will help you.

I'm just another nobody trying to offer ideas that people in need are free to ignore, or try to use to seek some relief.

You are the one with the problems.

You are the one that must endeavor to solve your problems.

How you do that is up to you.

If the llord wants to be a jerk he will be a jerk. If he doesn't want you there he can make your life miserable in a dozen legal ways. You can fight for your rights and maybe win, but you will still be renting from a jerk. Your llord is not responsible for your house or car being broken into.

Thank you for your feedback however, I don't hold my llord responsible for someone breaking into my car. I'll reread my post but I'm not sure where that came from. It seems like most responses from here are designed to dissuade tenants from protecting their rights. Good day!

You mentioned the car break-in in your first line. But I think you're right that this forum is not the best place for you to get the help you need. Hire a lawyer and go after this lousy llord for your rights. We love to hear happy endings, so be sure and come back and let us know how it all turns out.

Oh I see... I was just trying to get it in chronological order. The subject line was Black mold... well it was Nlack mold... but anyway! I think I'll start with the health dept bcs first I have to see if it is indeed the bad stuff. No mold us giusto and it dies prevent me from using my w/d. Little tired of washing clothes in the bathtub here in 2018! Thank you all.

Back