NJ Divorce Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

secondwifenj

My husband was divorced from his first wife in 1974. Their decree set a specific amount for child support, he was required to provide both his ex-wife and their children with health insurance and he was required to carry life insurance on himself with his children as beneficiaries. There was no specific mention as to when these requirements would cease. He faithfully paid his support and provided the health and life insurance benefits. When his ex-wife remarried he was no longer required to carry her on his heath insurance policy. When his children reached 23 he was no longer able to carry them on his heath insurance policy and he was able to stop paying child support (per our attorney). Eventually, his children married and he dropped the life insurance coverage. As far as we know his divorce decree (with respect to his children) requirements have been satisfied. Both of his children are in their late-30s. His ex-wife recently reviewed their divorce decree and insists that the life insurance provision is still required and wants proof that he still has such a policy. Can she possibly be correct?

I doubt that she is correct; however, I thought that a motion had to be filed in order to terminate a CS order in NJ. That would probably also include the life insurance.

You can either wait to see if she files in court, or you can check with your lawyer to be sure.

His ex seems to have a lot of time on her hands!

Thanks for your comments. I doubt that she will pursue the issue, but may confer with an attorney just to be sure about our position.

My husband was divorced from his first wife in 1974. Their decree set a specific amount for child support, he was required to provide both his ex-wife and their children with health insurance and he was required to carry life insurance on himself with his children as beneficiaries. There was no specific mention as to when these requirements would cease. He faithfully paid his support and provided the health and life insurance benefits. When his ex-wife remarried he was no longer required to carry her on his heath insurance policy. When his children reached 23 he was no longer able to carry them on his heath insurance policy and he was able to stop paying child support (per our attorney). Eventually, his children married and he dropped the life insurance coverage. As far as we know his divorce decree (with respect to his children) requirements have been satisfied. Both of his children are in their late-30s. His ex-wife recently reviewed their divorce decree and insists that the life insurance provision is still required and wants proof that he still has such a policy. Can she possibly be correct?
Your ex-wife has moved on, and so have you. Your children are grown (30+ years), and she is married to another person. My opinion is that she should get a life, and to keep her hands off your life insurance. Let her consult with an attorney, so she can waste a few dollars.

Peace,

famous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back