Next course of action should be?? Marital property

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkinakiya

I have been married for 16 yrs and we've been discussing divorcing. We are in the process of owning our home, we're still making mortgage payments and 2nd mortgage payments, so the home has negative equity. My name is not on the deed although it was purchased 7 years or so after we married, so I do know that it is still considered marital property.There have been domestic violence issues in the past and for the sake of our 13 year old son, as well as for the well being of everyone involved I told my spouse that I'd move and let him keep the house. Last night he informed me that he wants to sell it and try to break evento which I am opposed. Now that I know this, I would prefer to keep the house and fix it up and pay off the mortgage, possibly selling in 5yrs or so, for a profit , to finance my sons college education with my spouse leaving the home since he doesn't want it, to which he will not agree for strictly spiteful reasons. We have agreed on all other issues (custody, child support) but can not on this issue. What should be my next course of action. I do not have money for a lawyer and the situation is becoming unbearable as well as dangerous as threats have been made. Also, I am in the process of starting up my own small business, should I wait until after the divorce to do this or can I start now as my spouse has told me he wants no parts of it and not to use the marital property address or his name on or for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back