Newly separated in NY-TAX help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jma8763

Hi all,

I have recently obtained an order of protection against my husband of 19 years. He suffers from severe depression, compulsive gambling and other mental issues, and has over the past year become increasingly emotionally abusive toward myself and our teenage daughter, with threats of violence and suicide. He has been out of the house for almost two months now, and the only court hearings we have had have dealt with visitation. My attorney is court appointed and is only allowed to deal with the domestic offenses and not divorce or separation unless further retained by me, which I can't afford because of my husband's gambling. My immediate problem is our taxes!! April 15 is fast approaching, and I have NO IDEA what I should do!! I know that I can file married filing separate, but can I take the deductions for our child and our home? His income is from SSDI for the mental problems, and a partial disability retirement from his former job. I have been a stay at home mom for the past 18 years, so my only income is SSDI from his disability for our child and for myself as a stay at home parent of a child under 16. Additionally, there is an in-law apartment attached to our house that draws income and that generates expenses.....can I claim the house deductions, including the income and expenses from the apartment???? Can I file as head of the household???? Sorry, but I have NO CLUE how to proceed!!!!

THANKS!!
Jma

Not sure I would recommend H and R block, most of their employees are just seasonal tax preparers.

Try getting a referral to an accountant from a friend. You should be able to file an extension, then the accountant can help you prepare your taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back