Newborn Grandson taken into State Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRANDMA_G

My son and his ex girlfriend just had a baby, I was excited as to being a new Grandma, until I got a call to come to the hospital from the mom. I was asked to come to the hospital she needed to talk to me right away. To my surprise on arrival I was immediately told that the baby had drugs in it's system as well as the mom's. The hospital has contacted local authorities, thank goodness, but DFS has taken the baby into protective custody. She has 2 other children that 10 & 14 who have alot of issues because of what they have been put thru, prior to my son getting involved with her. The state has asked me as the Grandparent to take custody so the baby will be with our family, I have to go to court today over this matter. I'm really very upset with this whole mess and I'm just trying to protect my grandson. Of course she has to check her self in and try to get it together, but this is not her first go around with the drug courts. What rights as Grandparents would I have once they give me temporaily custody to try to keep the mom from taking the child back after she has completed the task by the state? I don't want my grandson ending up like the other kids having serious issue with juevnile courts, I just want to protect the baby and it's well being?

Why doesnt your son get involved here? I assume paternity was established? As long as a child is a ward of the state I don't believe he can do anything but he needs to fight for custody eventually. You and Dad really need to see an attorney.

As a Grandparent, you have no legal rights to attempt to keep this child from his mother after she completes drug rehabilitation.

In fact, if paternity has not been legally established (typically through DNA testing), your son is not considered to be the father.

The first step would be establishing paternity. Has your son done this?

Gail

My son is involved, and we went to court today the judge has ordered emergency paternity test. We will need to return to court in 1 month they are setting us up on visitation as well until then. The judge decided to go ahead and let the baby have a month with the other sibblings, she stated once we come back and confirmed it was my sons baby that the baby would come to my home at that point she was really concerned putting me thru all of this and then to find out the baby might not be his, and this would give him a chance as well t make sure before we all get attached, it was interesting to find out what kind of background the mom really does have with previous history of drugs, not good. But again once we do determine the baby what can i do to keep this child out of the system because fronm what i heard today it tore my heart apart for all of her kids....

After paternity is proven, will the baby still be in foster care, with you as a relative placement? Or could you petition on your own to get custody? In the latter case, you would need Dad's approval because he would be the only one with rights. Unless he's under a case plan, too?

This judge sounds very wise, to get the legalities out of the way before you bond with baby.

I'm a grandfather and we need help to fight Ohio CPS and stop our only grandkids to get Adopted out of the family. I don't have any money to get an attorney, is their any type of program that can help financially?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back