New car rebate

Austinguy26

Jurisdiction
Texas
I just bought a brand new 2016 truck because of all the great rebates that the manufacturer was offering I signed all the paperwork for the vehicle but needed my parents to co-sign to be able to be approved for the loan but my name is on the registration and as the owner. My parents took three weeks to sign and return the paperwork to the dealership. But now the dealership has called me back saying that my parents took to long to fill out the paperwork for the rebates to apply. So I have been driving the car for three weeks and now they want me to come back in to resign paperwork for an additional 1800 dollars on the car and want me to pay the remaining fee but I have all the legal documents that me and the manager signed for the agreed amount and now they want me to sign new paper work for the new amount. what happens if I refuse to sign the new paperwork? The financial Manger is saying I must sign the new paperwork because the original is no longer applicable. Is this true? He sound like he is trying to strong arm me to make up the difference in something that if I don't pay the dealership will have to

I just bought a brand new 2016 truck because of all the great rebates that the manufacturer was offering I signed all the paperwork for the vehicle but needed my parents to co-sign to be able to be approved for the loan but my name is on the registration and as the owner. My parents took three weeks to sign and return the paperwork to the dealership. But now the dealership has called me back saying that my parents took to long to fill out the paperwork for the rebates to apply. So I have been driving the car for three weeks and now they want me to come back in to resign paperwork for an additional 1800 dollars on the car and want me to pay the remaining fee but I have all the legal documents that me and the manager signed for the agreed amount and now they want me to sign new paper work for the new amount. what happens if I refuse to sign the new paperwork? The financial Manger is saying I must sign the new paperwork because the original is no longer applicable. Is this true? He sound like he is trying to strong arm me to make up the difference in something that if I don't pay the dealership will have to

I don't know what your dealer will do, if you fail to return the car, or sign the paperwork again.

I'm guessing the rebate expired on 30 or 31 October.

Your parents took three weeks for you to close the deal with them.
You snooze, you lose, in this case $1,800.

The dealer could repo the car, report it stolen, who knows what they'll do if you "snooze" again.

Don't risk it, work with the dealer to fix this mess, or risk making a bigger mess.

Sorry, but if your contract required a co-signer to be complete then you had no contract and you were just driving the car pending the contract completion. If the rebates expired before the contract was complete, then you get no rebates.

However, you are free to try to play hardball with the dealer, refuse to sign a new contract, and tell them if the don't eat the difference, they can cancel the sale and give you your down payment back in exchange for the truck.

Then see who blinks.

If the date on the paperwork that your parents signed is the original delivery date, then the rebates would still be the same based on that date. The mfg goes off of the date on the paperwork, which should reflect the actual, physical delivery date of the vehicle. The date when the paperwork is all finalized and turned in shouldn't matter. The mfg I work for allows the dealership 90 days to apply for the rebate. I'm sure most mfg's are similar.

Your best bet is to go in person TODAY and speak with the general manager. They cannot force you to sign a new contract. Keep that in mind. No one can force you to pick up a pen and sign.
It all depends on the mind-set of this dealership as to how easy or hard this will be. It also depends on how much you put down and did you have a trade or not. The legal answer may only be enforceable after a long drawn out battle in court with everybody spending money on attorneys. Coming to an equitable agreement with the dealership is what you want to do.

I'm bringing the car back today and now they are saying that I will have to pay them for minor scratches in the bed of the truck can they hold me to that

If you are trying to return the vehicle and back out of the sale, then yes you owe for any damage to the vehicle.

Back