New Buyer with utilities problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtlegrrl

Last year we bought a house. It is almost one year later and the seller's lawyer contacted us about old utility bills that need to be paid to them. They are still not transferred into our names.

We moved into a townhouse that is connected to 3 others. The only bills left that were not transferred is water, sewer, and garbage. They did not divide the amounts up, they just sent out copies and wants the four units to divide it up and pay.

Is this something we can fight or is it a losing battle since we have lived there.

There is a lot more about all of this, but this is most recent. I tell you, the seller and his realator are incompetants.

Regardless, I am contacting BBB about them since they were selling as a business.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Turtlegrrl
Last year we bought a house. It is almost one year later and the seller's lawyer contacted us about old utility bills that need to be paid to them. They are still not transferred into our names.

We moved into a townhouse that is connected to 3 others. The only bills left that were not transferred is water, sewer, and garbage. They did not divide the amounts up, they just sent out copies and wants the four units to divide it up and pay.

Is this something we can fight or is it a losing battle since we have lived there.

There is a lot more about all of this, but this is most recent. I tell you, the seller and his realator are incompetants.

You need to provide more information as to what is going on. Why are you responsible for the seller's bills? All that should have been taken care of at closing and done with. Regarding the utilities, you should be able to take care of those items with the utility company as the new owners. I'm assuming the problem is that you share the bills in a townhouse and don't have separate meters (always a joy.) I'm not sure what the problem is though -- did the sellers pay the bills and they are looking to you for reimbursement? That's a separate matter and if you shouldn't have to pay then you don't. Regarding getting your name placed on the bill, what is preventing you from doing this yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back