Neighbors using the police to harrass my family

Status
Not open for further replies.

csigirl

Hello,
For a long time and several times the police have been coming onto our property and going through our burning area. The police said someone called saying we were burning(even though it's legal to burn in an enclose burning pit while watching it). When we are not there the police leave notes on our door saying they were there checking on our burning area, because someone called(We were not burning). The police even came in our house, without any permission, telling us a neighbor called in a burning complant. The best part is when the whole neighborhood is burning everything and anything and when they feel like it; we get the police on our door step. We do not know who it is, but it's getting on our nerves. As a criminal justice student, I would like to see that phone line and officer, that is being used up to harrass my family, to go to a real emergency. Is there anything we can do about it? Thanks!

Have you called the police department and asked for a copy of any dispatch logs or computer generated dispatch records that involve calls to your address. Your state may require that the nature of calls for service and who made the call be a matter of public record. I cannot seem to find clarity on this issue in the Wisconsin Open Records Act, but the first step will be to ask. If they deny the request, then you can seek additional options to try and compel their release if you want to go that far.

Hello,
For a long time and several times the police have been coming onto our property and going through our burning area. The police said someone called saying we were burning(even though it's legal to burn in an enclose burning pit while watching it). When we are not there the police leave notes on our door saying they were there checking on our burning area, because someone called(We were not burning). The police even came in our house, without any permission, telling us a neighbor called in a burning complant. The best part is when the whole neighborhood is burning everything and anything and when they feel like it; we get the police on our door step. We do not know who it is, but it's getting on our nerves. As a criminal justice student, I would like to see that phone line and officer, that is being used up to harrass my family, to go to a real emergency. Is there anything we can do about it? Thanks!

If I were you, I'd call the local police department and make an appointment to see the Chief or an Assistant or Deputy Chief.

I would then go in and discuss my concerns with the Chief or his/her designee.

At least you could begin to learn why this is occurring and what your legal recourse might be in the matter.

The police do not want to violate anyone's rights.

Sometimes mistakes are made.

Those mistakes never get corrected unless you discuss them.

You might also speak with your elected city official (council person or alder person or whatever they are called in your town or city).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back