Neighbor likely damaged my truck

L

lovelykate8

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I own my home on a public street and have a single car driveway. Across the public street is a triplex with no designated parking. Those who live in the triplex park on the public street. Typically everyone parks in the same or similar spot and we have never had any problems. This past Friday, there was a party a few houses down which causes an increase in parked cars on our street so my husband and his friend parked their trucks where they could across the street. The neighbor's car was parked between them. Saturday, we took a day trip and left my husband's truck sit. Later that evening, my husband and his friend left and took my car from our driveway. In the evening, the neighbor had left and returned and she was continuously honking the horn and yelling at my house, "Move your f*ing trucks! I want to park in front of my own g**d*mn house!". She sat and honked for another minute and then did a loop around the block and did it again. She yelled and honked before eventually parallel parking in the same spot she was in earlier. Since my husband wasn't there, I was not going to go outside. I peeked out the window but it was dark. I could tell she was still standing outside her car and she was using a flashlight while looking at my husband's friends truck. I went and got my phone so I could call my husband but when I came back to the window, I couldn't see her anymore. Sunday we stayed home all day so no one moved my husband's truck. Monday morning, when my husband went out to go to work, there was a whole punched in his passenger's window. We have no evidence that she is the one that did it but I find it very ironic that it happens after her temper tantrum about "her" parking spot. How should we handle this?
My plan is to at least file a police report but how do we let her know that she can't be mad about not getting a specific spot on a public street? I don't want to have a big confrontation because she seems quite unhinged.

Hopefully you were able to follow that story.

Any advice is appreciated.

You can report acts of vandalism to the police and your insurance company.
You have suspicions, but no suspect.
You only observed the resulting damage.
You don't know who damaged the truck.

If you're smart, you'll report the matter to your insurance company, maybe the cops.
Absent proof, you have no suspects.
So, you say nothing to any of your neighbors, unless you want to start a feud.

You can't stop the criminal element, and its heathen following from doing a darn thing.

You can, however, instigate and excite said heathens to begin "operation destruction".

Be smart, don't agitate, excite, or stimulate the heathen mobs.

The only evidence you would ever get is another neighbor witness or a confession. If you do make a police report and direct them to the most likely suspect, maybe they get something out of her and maybe they don't.
Windows aren't that expensive though... It could be better to just replace it and not stir the pot.
In my experience this sounds like a situation which a skilled officer could fairly easily obtain a confession if it was in fact the person you suspect.

Back