Neighbor cut down trees on our property

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmw81289

Recently (March 26), a neighbor hired a tree service company to cut down a couple of trees, one of which was on his property and one that was on ours. We received a note on our door two days prior to the trees being cut down advising us to move our vehicles so that they would not be damaged by falling limbs. We sent a note back in reply stating that, as a reminder, if they were planning on cutting down the tree on our property (tree had grown partially onto their property), that they would need to talk with us first, or prove that there was something wrong with the tree before removing it. No response was ever received. On the 26th, I moved my car as the note suggested and my mother and I had left for the morning. When we came home, the tree on the neighbor's property had come down along with a tree further on our property, and the tree on the property line was in preparation. When the tree service workers were asked if the tree was diseased, they said no, but there was a small hole in it and that it would eventually rot and fall down. They also informed us that they had been hired by the neighbor. However, when told we did not hear anything from them or the neighbors regarding the removal of this tree prior to the note on the door two days prior and were asked to stop, they did not. The response was that we would need to talk to the neighbor and they continued the prep. When the neighbor did eventually come out, his explanation for having the tree on the property line removed was that he we were overdue for a storm, he was afraid of the tree falling on his propane tank, that he's been wanting it cut down for years, and finally that he was simply tired of cleaning up after it. When asked about the tree further on our property, he said that tree needed to be cut down in order to have the other one brought down safely. When these trees were brought down, they damaged other trees on the property, and left large ruts in the lawn. The tree service company also proceeded to drive over our lawn with their tractor leaving significant tire tracks.

My question is, do we have grounds for a lawsuit, and if so, what are our options? Could we go after the neighbor as well as the tree service? A police report was filed and we were told to go to the magistrates office if we wanted to file a complaint, however an employee there told me that unless we sought monetary compensation, they could not help us. We are not so much interested in monetary compensation as we are having some sort of order for him and his family not to come onto our property. Any information you can provide would be most helpful!

Yes, you do, though I am not certain if the liability is with the neighbor or if the tree service was responsible for determining property lines. If you are going to sue someone I would suggest suing both.
You will have to figure out what your damages are if you are going to sue.

If you are not interested in money then what you are seeking is a restraining order to compel the neighbor to stay off your property. Since the tree is already down and the neighbor likely has no reason to be on your property you would probably lose that argument if it was contested.

Honestly, if you aren't seeking monetary compensation, then there really isn't much to do.

put a stop to it now

Yes, you do, though I am not certain if the liability is with the neighbor or if the tree service was responsible for determining property lines. If you are going to sue someone I would suggest suing both.
You will have to figure out what your damages are if you are going to sue.

If you are not interested in money then what you are seeking is a restraining order to compel the neighbor to stay off your property. Since the tree is already down and the neighbor likely has no reason to be on your property you would probably lose that argument if it was contested.

Honestly, if you aren't seeking monetary compensation, then there really isn't much to do.

Why would it be with the tree service people? How do they know what the property line is? If this neighbor told them it was his property....

Myself I wouldn't let either one of these partys get away with this. I would file for repair of your lawn, lost of your tree. If they did this without speaking to you then what's next? I would put a stop to these actions by your neighbor now. I would ask for a monetary amount as well them pay to repair your yard.

I have the neighbor from hell... he once told the lawn service company his property line was here... when in fact his property line was 2 feet closer. the lawn service company ran over 6 sprinkler heads, damaged my lawn. They both paid to replace the sprinkler heads and cost to repair my lawn.

The tree service company was told by the op that the tree was on his property and they cut it down anyway... seems to me they would have responsibility at that point. They may not know the property line but they know it is in dispute. Best to stop.
They are also responsible for damage caused by the fallen trees.
Naturally, the company and the neighbor will point at each other, nut they are both responsible.
Seems to me a legit company would look at assessor maps before doing anything near a property line.

Last edited:
If the neighbor returns to your property ( which it appears he hasn't done ), you can contact the police for his trespass.
As far as the tree, the neighbor does have a right to remove a tree that causes damage to his property.
Did he have a right to have the tree removed?
Can't say, as that is what you'll litigate, if you go to court.
The court can't order specific performance, small claims (magistrate courts) don't have that power.
All you can do is get the value of the tree, assuming the neighbor did something illegal.
As I said, that'll only be decided at trial.
As far as obtaining an injunction (something to prevent tree cutting), why seek that?
The tree is gone, and trespass isn't a recurring problem here.
But, you can ask the court for such an order, I doubt you'll get it.
But, if you have a remedy,it'll be a small monetary award.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back