need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

almpvnj

I got a phone call Friday morning from a police department in another town in my home state of New Jersey. A police officer asked me if I could come to their station to answer some questions. I asked about what and he would not elaborate, just saying that it was important and it really needed to be taken care of today, and that right now all he has is one side of the story and he needed to get my side. I told him that I had to go to work and would have to try and make some type of arrangements to be able to come, and he said that it was important to get there today and that he didn't want to let it get to him putting a warrent out. At this point, I was scared out of my mind, and told him I would try to get there. He called right back and asked if I would need the address and phone number and I wrote it down, I again asked him if he could at least give me some idea of what this was about and he would not. I asked him if I should bring a lawyer and he said I certainly could, if I chose to. Anyway, I tried to get out of work and make other arrangements for my son, but could not do so on such short notice. I tried to call the specific officer back, but got voice mail and I left several messages, stating that I understood that it was a serious matter and I would do my best to be there Monday Morning. I have not heard anything back today, but I am scared. I don't know what this is about. I don' t know if I am going to get arrested if I go there. I have never been in this town before, so I am really confused. Do I have any the right to know what they want? The only legal type thing that I can even think of happened about a year ago when I was working for a lady, under the table, cleaning houses and one of the clients said that I took some prescription medication, I said that I didn't and never worked for her again and never heard from her again. This client lived in Pennsylvannia, so I am still confused why this township in Nj is calling me. Does anyone have any advice for me? What should I do?
I am sure I will be hearing from them first thing Monday morning and I don't know what to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
almpvnj@gmail.com

You are under no legal obligation to speak to the police. And they are under no legal obligation to tell you why they want to talk to you.

So, you can either politely refuse to speak to them until you have spoken to an attorney, or, maybe agree to talk to them on the phone only. If they really want just your statement, they can get it over the phone ... though that makes it tougher to tape.

Since you apparently have no idea what it could be about, it would be very unwise to go into this without the benefit of counsel, in my opinion.

- Carl

Carl,
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I guess I should tell them that I would be glad to cooperate with them if they can give me some more info, and if not then I politely tell them that I do not feel comfortable coming in to answer questions without knowing what this is all about and I will contact an attorney. I hope that this will be ok. Thanks again.
almpvnj

needs advice, still waiting

I posted on Saturday about a police officer calling me up and wanting to question me about something, I don't know what, etc. I got a reply which helped me to kind of get in my mind what to say to them, if anyone read what I thought I should say, let me know if that would be appropriate. I thought I would get a call from them first thing this morning, but I haven't heard anything. Should I wait for them to call or should I call them? I am so scared and confused, I am not sure how to go about this. If anyone can help let me know. Thanks again.
almpvnj

Try this!

From experience........I would advice you to get a lawyer and have him call or contact them on your behalf. They would not want you to come there if they did not want a statement about whatever......So, you might want to call and tell them you are trying to get an appointment to come there with your lawyer. Have your lawyer's name and number handy. You want to show them you are willing to coperate or work with them. If you don't show up there with your lawyer or let them know what is going on...........they could charge you without your side of the story and put out a warrant. Believe me, get a lawyer now so he could navigate you not getting charged. If you get charged you would spend a fortune on the lawyer, court cost, bond, and getting of your record if found not guilty. You don't want to go down that road!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back